new electrical service

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilco3

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade my electrical service to 200amp panel. I would like to place the new panel in the garage and have the power company run the power underground. The pole is only 10ft away so hopefully this will not be too costly. I would then like to run power underground from the garage to feed the house (another words the house panel would become a subpanel for the garage).
My plan is this....In the future I will be tearing down my existing house. So, it would be nice to still have power at the site of the garage. My current house has a 100 amp panel. Can I feed the house as a subpanel? Is this the best way to go about my plan? Should I run a large enough wire to plan for a bigger panel in the new house....maybe 150amp? Any thoughts would be helpful. thanks.

That sound like a smart plan. Don't worry about running a wire big enough for the nice house. You will have plenty of grading going on when you build the new house.

I get what you are saying about the grading. I was hoping I would pull the line back up prior to grading. I know it's extra work but I did not want to pay for new wire. I will have to run about 75ft to get from the garage to the house. Maybe this is unwise? Any thoughts?

Back