Shower grout sealing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fry

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

We recently had our shower remodeled. I'm not completely thrilled with the results but what's done is done.

The guy who built the shower didn't seal any of the grout. All the grout between the tiles is unsealed as is the grout on the floor between the stones.

My question is: should I seal all of this grout between the ceramic tile and between all the rocks on the floor?

If I should seal it is there any specific brand or type of sealant I should pick up?

I've never sealed grout in my life. I'm assuming it's not horribly difficult to do.

Thanks a lot!

Pic of shower:

dimensions.jpg

You can just go to the home center, in the tile section, and get grout sealer and follow the instructions on the bottle. You may want to do 3 or 4 applications on the floor. You may also see sealer that is for grout, porous tiles, stone, etc. That would be a good choice on your floor. It will darken the pebbles some but would make them easier to clean.

Again - Follow the directions. The key thing is making sure everything is dry and waiting the recommended time between coats and the recommended time before usage of the shower.

also, the inside corners should have been caulked, not grouted. I cant tell from the pictures. The caulk does not need to be sealed.

Thank you very much for your input, handyguys.

So you're saying I should even grout the stones on the floor?

You're right, of course. I said grout instead of seal.

Still, I wasn't aware that the stones needing sealing as well! I'm learning a lot from this little thread.

Thanks again. I'll check out that product.

Regards.

well, the stones may, or may not, actually need sealed. It depends how they were made. If they are natural the yes, definitely, they should be sealed. If they are ceramic or porcelain tiles that look like stone then no, only the grout. Actually, same thing with the walls. That looks like porcelain or ceramic tile, BUT, if its slate or granite or similar it should be sealed too. The border inlay may have some stone products that may need to be sealed too.

BTW - I think the shower looks great! Maybe a clear glass door would finish it off nicely, allow lots of light in, and allow you to admire the tile job (or your spouse) from the room ;)

handyguys,

As a matter of fact we're having a frameless door installed in just a few days.

You were right about both the stones and the tile. The tile is ceramic and the stones are natural.

I ordered that product on amazon about two minutes after reading your suggestion. The reviews there seemed to support what you said -- it appears people really believe in the product.

I suppose I'll follow the instructions to the best of my ability. I guess I'll just be slathering this stuff all over the floor. I hope it doesn't make it slippery or anything.

Thanks again for your help. I'm really clueless with most of this stuff. If it weren't for people like you I'd be utterly lost. :)

And wow! I didn't even think of sealing the border inlay.

That's all natural rock.

Great tips!

Good luck, feel free to drop me a line any time with home improvement questions. The sealer may make the stones look a little darker, sort of how they look when wet. They wont be any more slippery than they are now. If you have an extra stone you may want to just try it on that first to be positive you will be okay with the result. The stuff should soak in, its not like a varnish or anything. You know you are sealed when no more will soak in.

handyguys is right, you can do the sealing yourself. I did a couple of that as well on our shower... :)

Those are some really nice tips! :D

Thanks for the link to the sealer on Amazon! I'm going to have to regrout and seal the tiles in my new bathroom too; the guy who built it didn't seal the grout and now it's coming off.

Your welcome - If the grout is loose you will want to scrape anything loose, re-grout those areas, and then re-seal. If you cant match the color of the old grout you may need to re-grout the entire thing. I haven't had much luck grouting over old grout, it should be removed. There are special scrapers made for removing old grout. You might find them at the home center and definitely you will find them at a specialty tile store.

Back