Basement drain tiles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamFoose1

Reaction score
If buying a house and you see that they did some work on the drain tiles inside walls of the basement, how can you determine if the outside drain tiles are still good??

Regarding exterior drain tils, there may not be any when the home was built and to difficult to install later because of landscaping and obstructions, like patios, steps and garages.

When you say "interior drain tiles" are you referring to the cheap surface mounted afterthought systems or real drain tiles that are at the level of the bottom of the footing?

Dick

mudmixer said:
Regarding exterior drain tils, there may not be any when the home was built and to difficult to install later because of landscaping and obstructions, like patios, steps and garages.

When you say "interior drain tiles" are you referring to the cheap surface mounted afterthought systems or real drain tiles that are at the level of the bottom of the footing?

Dick

Another question they replaced the bad drain tiles on the inside of the basement walls, they put clean out areas in each corner of the basement, they said to put a hose down each one about ever 3 months to flush out the drain tiles into the crock( sump pump) have you heard of this before ???

Installed the openings for cleaning and flushing when I installed my interior drain tile. - Costs next to nothing and does wonders.

I had exterior drains initially, but they were really not effective for the situation I had. The interior drains eliminated the hydrostatic pressure under the floor that forced water upward.

Dick

What all will clog up the drain tile? I thought it is surrounded by rock so how does dirt or what ever get in there?

You wouldn't expect much, but after all the hassel, the previous owner is just not taking any chances. It is a good maintanence thing to do.

Back