Should I be concerned about this discoloration on my roof?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYoungMan143

Reaction score
I noticed this discoloration on my roof today. It almost looks wet, but it isn't. We do have trouble keeping the second level temperature controlled and I was thinking maybe this indicates poor insulation work. Does that make sense, could it be something else? Should I be concerned?

VborlfTKdGPdHevC3

MVIMG_20171127_070911.jpg

Does the color change come and go? Like moisture or frost etc. or is it like a stain?

Do you have gable end vents who's lower edge corresponds with the bottom of the discoloration?

Is that discoloration or are we looking at lifted/curling shingles?

Is that discoloration or are we looking at lifted/curling shingles?

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps a new picture during the day from further away would tell us more.

The color does lighten and almost goes away during the day. So far I've only noticed it in the mornings. I don't know what vent situation I have. But I don't think the shingles are curling.

MVIMG_20171129_102909.jpg

MVIMG_20171129_102855.jpg

It is most likely condensation on the roof. We'll see it here in the colder months as frost, it remains in the shaded areas and is burned off pretty quickly when the sun hits it.

I don't see anything in the new pictures. The outline of the first picture seems to indicate heat loss issue. The outlines of the eaves and the rafters are visible. I have seen the same type of thing on frosty roofs. The heat would melt off the frost in certain areas.

Wouldn't condensation on the roof indicate a cold attic? Which would be a good thing in the fall and winter. With frost on the roof areas without frost would indicate either heated air making it to the roof deck or after sunrise an area in the shade. Here you can see a distinct line between the areas of the roof and the areas still in shade by the morning melt off.

Those could be the dry spots. It is definitely the outline of the eaves and the rafters.

Back