Shower Rod - Straight, Rustfree, Non-Drill

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2P

Reaction score
Hey folks. We have a shower that I want to mount two shower rods (one for liner and other for outer) far enough apart so they clear the 5inch sill at the base, one on each side. The walls are floor to ceiling tile with no grout lines where I want to mount the bars. I do not want to drill into the tile because we have talked about doing a frameless door when funds become available down the line. I have been hunting for weeks and tension rods either look terrible (plastic) or rust. Several are also reviewed as falling easily. Quality brass rods all require permanent mounting via drilling. The span is 67 inches and I am looking for brushed/satin nickel. Anyone able to help? Thanks!

If you have enough venting from the bathroom fan, you will not get rust. The tension is adjustable by turning one end against the other.

The wife hangs both the line and the curtain from the same hooks/rod.
Any reason your looking to install two rods?

This is for our second downstairs bath, which has a window bit no fan (will be putting one in at some point). So ventilation could be lacking.

The main reason I. Lpokong at two rods is that 5inch sill I mentioned. Even centered, one curtain will keep moving in or out so the liner does not do its job or the outer comes in and gets wet. We did try a single tension rod from upstaors first. The bath side (non shower) is also a couple of inches taller so that factors into it also.

Last edited:
Hey folks. We have a shower that I want to mount two shower rods (one for liner and other for outer) far enough apart so they clear the 5inch sill at the base, one on each side. The walls are floor to ceiling tile with no grout lines where I want to mount the bars. I do not want to drill into the tile because we have talked about doing a frameless door when funds become available down the line. I have been hunting for weeks and tension rods either look terrible (plastic) or rust. Several are also reviewed as falling easily. Quality brass rods all require permanent mounting via drilling. The span is 67 inches and I am looking for brushed/satin nickel. Anyone able to help? Thanks!

The 5" sil, is called a "dam."

Tension shower rods all come with a non-mar substance fitted in the contact end of the rods and unless mechanically fractured, will only rust from lack of maintenance, IE. cleaning.

Correct employment of ventilation, sealing of shower curtains and maintenance will ensure longevity.

If you have enough venting from the bathroom fan, you will not get rust. The tension is adjustable by turning one end against the other.

HAHA that's what I thought. I put in a top of the line light, vent & heater and my almost teen daughter fogs it up like there's no tomorrow. I even left the door open and it still doesn't help. It probably doesn't help I put in that really sweet tankless heater that tops off the temp to 140.

She's so bad she causes the insulated no sweat toilet to sweat up a storm. Maybe if you didn't have a ceiling on the room or the super warm endless water (she's like me and has been known to take 40-50 minute showers) it wouldn't steam up?

HAHA that's what I thought. I put in a top of the line light, vent & heater and my almost teen daughter fogs it up like there's no tomorrow. I even left the door open and it still doesn't help. It probably doesn't help I put in that really sweet tankless heater that tops off the temp to 140.

She's so bad she causes the insulated no sweat toilet to sweat up a storm. Maybe if you didn't have a ceiling on the room or the super warm endless water (she's like me and has been known to take 40-50 minute showers) it wouldn't steam up?

Well that would be pushing the limits.
Sounds like you hare happy withe water heater, what is the brand and size or specs?

My little girl would use all the water in the tank so I would give her about ten minutes and go turn off the feed into the tank, when she turned off the shower, I would turn it back on and be back watching TV before she got out of the bathroom. 25 years later I just chuckle when she complains about her kids.

Back