New Condenser unit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

So we have been having issues with our air, I had a home warranty so I called them and the unit was covered. They came out and fixed it a few times but it never got better. They finally decided to replace the condenser unit. My old system was an R-22 system. The new unit is R-410a. I have a buddy that owns an AC company and he told me to make sure they also replaced the coil in my furnace to match the R-410a. The AC guy said he was not doing that and that he was replacing a piston or orifice to make the new system work with my R-22 coil. I called my AC buddy and he says that it will likely work but will not be efficient and that he would never do that. I called the guy installing the unit and he disagrees. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

I discussed this exact question with my bro in law, who is now deceased. He said the new R-410A system is a high pressure system, and unless it is a matched system, it will not work for very long. I believe your home warranty is trying everything possible to not bite the bullet. Trust me, I have called them on 4 different problems and have yet to even come out to look at my problems. Put your foot down and tell them you will file a complaint with the reality board, that will usually grab their attention pretty quick.

410 runs at a higher pressure than 22. Your looking to blow your coils if not properly matched.

I do not know from personal experience . But what I have read is since R410a came out , the coils are / were made for both R22 & R410a .

I also read that the R410a systems use synthetic refrigeration oil that is not compatible with the mineral ( petroleum ) oil used in R22 systems .

So , if the line set and / or coil of a R22 system is re-used , they need to be flushed out .

So , you pays your money and you makes your choices .

God bless
Wyr

Last edited:
Did some research and the 410 system is designed for higher pressure and volume. According to my friend the ac guy the 410 high pressure is still well below breaking point of the 22 coil, only real issue is volume but he was not sure if it was needed or just happened to be made that way.

Higher pressure , yes . Higher volume , I am not so sure .

If you re-use a R22 coil , the expansion device may need to be changed too .

God bless
Wyr

Back