Privacy Fence

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archbarb

Reaction score
I am building a 6" privacy fence (shadow fence) in my back yard, and have a question about the 2x4 stringers. Do you put them flush to the front of the 4x4 with the width or 3.75" showing or do you lay them flat with the 1.75" showing. I've seen both ways. It seems there will be less sag if installed sideways or the 3.75" showing. Or is it just preference?

Archie

I have always seen them with the width showing.

Thanks for the info. The more I think about it, mounting with width showing should also keep it from sagging.

Archie

You should install them with the 3.75" side showing (standing on its narrow end) when you are looking horzonitally at the fence. If you install them the other way they WILL sag. I used to live in Texas and for some reason they were all installed that way, and every fence that had been up for more than about 6 months had a serious sag in the runners. The strongest setup for a 2x4 is for the 4" section to support the weight vertically. It is all about the section modulus, which is stonger when the vertical section supports the load. Just think about which way it is stiffer, common sense really.

Back