Best Practices?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doechsli

Reaction score
I have blown in insulation in my attic that was rated as R40. Anyway it's a foot deeper than the tops of the ceiling joists. Seems my bathroom vent fan has died and needs replacement so I need to get in the attic to pull out the old one and replace it. I tried to get it out from below but no luck. What is the best way to deal with the insulation without destroying the insulating properties by compressing it etc.? I have a plywood plan to lay across the joists to use as a work platform but this is still going to be a mess. Any ideas?

The boss has requested a fan with a light since this one died and I think I need a few more CFM of power.

You don't want to put plywood on top of the insulation, you need to move it out of the way first and get your plywood sitting on the joists. Compressing the insulation can apply to much weight on the drywall.

Take a small rake up there with you and make a path, then rake it back smooth when you are done. Now would also be a great time to air seal the main chases (chimney, plumbing stacks, electrical boxes, etc) is that hasn't already been done... This is definitely the best time of year to be up there. Not too hot , not too cold.

+1

Just locate the structural members and be careful.

When you are done, rake it level again.

Back