AC tech just left. Questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myntk12

Reaction score
A/C technician just left the house. Came across as real honest.
He said i was down 4 lbs in my top unit, but could only fill 2 lbs. He said my expansion valve would not allow more in and that there is nothing to be done short of an entirely new ac system in the attic. A new expansion valve would not solve a thing and he has only come across one defect in his many years.
He suggested I change the air vent registers from my current 3 section stamped unit with units from Lowes which would allow more air.

My question being, is there anything else i can do? Is he correct that replacing the expansion valve will not help?
Unit is only 6 years old.
thanks,

Did he evac the entire system and then add then measure the amount of freon added back into the system?

Welcome Myntk:
A dirty or partially obstructed evaporator or condenser coil will make a unit appear to need more refrigerant. Some guys will continue to add 'a little gas' until you have other problems. The rule of thumb is to CLEAN FIRST, GAS LAST. A system without full, free air flow will make the gauges tell a lie.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back