Laminate tollerances

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pens66

Reaction score
Hi,

I am preparing to install laminate throughout my house - am just pulling up the existing carpet, hardwood, etc. For the most part, the subfloor is in decent shape. There are few areas where I will need to replace sections, etc. There is however a few smaller areas where there are chips and splintered planks, etc. My question is how true does the floor need to be for the laminate to float properly?

Would it be in my best interest to lay some 3/16th plywood over the entire floor to make even, or can laminate site on slightly non-flat surfaces allright?

Thanks,

Welcome Pens:
Laminates are generally rather thin material and therefore will telegraph almost any imperfection. I really don't understand why you removed the hardwood floor but, yes, a new underlayment grade plywood or OSB will be a tremendous help. Whichever you use it will still be a good idea to use wood filler on the joints and perhaps even sand the filler (Durham's Rock Hard water putty).
Glenn

Back