Need to fix everything

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelechim

Reaction score
Hi All,

My husband has a world of tools downstairs (except for table saw, working router and band saw). He doesn't really enjoy fixing stuff like I do. I am a new mom to a 14 month old and while mothering, contracting out of my home two days a week designing stuff on computer, I am also trying to tackle a kitchen remodel. I decided that joining a site like this would help me get some questions answered and learn what I need to do to improve your home on a super tight budget.

Currently these are the state of affairs:

-Gutted small master bath 2 years ago (my husband did it, but funds were low and he is nervous about building his own showerpan). We did it bc showerpan was leaking in the first place.
-Partially gutted kitchen. I want to fix it up using stock cabinetry that we add molding to ourselves.
-Windows that need reglazing
-Leaky unfinished basement with dirt crawl space
-bad thin crown molding that needs to be repainted. I see where husband didn't even smooth out joints well with wood putty or whatever you need to do it.
-leaky kitchen sink
-Front door that threshold is wonky on that we can't seem to fix. Cold air just rushes in and money rushes out on elec bill
-peeling paint on outside window sashes
- and, etc etc. I won't even go into the backyard. I guess I'll join garden forum for that.

I basically feel like the house is falling down around me. I get a wild hair to build something and it is never as easy as it seems it should be. For instance, if I'm trying to drill a pilot hole in some plywood, it always seems that for some reason I hit something hard. I am terrible with the drill. Then when I try to countersink finishing nails I get them in crooked. It's just one thing after another.

I hope you guys can help me:eek:

Anyways, nice to meet all of you.

We will do our best...:hide:

Just keep this is mind with projects....one thing at a time. Then you do not get into despair mode and give a half hearted try at something, because you are thinking about fixing something else while you are there.

Write a better detailed job scope to start and try keeping to your list as best you can. Possibly looking at some youtube videos on how to would also help.

Good luck, and we are always hangin out around the fire.:D

building a mud shower pan - Google Books

installing cabinets - Google Books

reglaze windows - Google Books

painting crown molding - Google Books

installing exterior door thresholds - Google Books

painting window sashes - Google Books

I did the easy part, you need to sort through them in your spare time………..right….
Look for the "Fine Home Building" books, seem to be best. Enter any subject in the top search box, more pages get farther from the key words. ENJOY!!

Be safe, Gary

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great stuffs around here! :D Feel free to ask!

Back