Updates to my "project house"

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

Reaction score
Some time ago I posted this thread: http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f45/before-after-plans-my-first-house-8888/ and the house has remained exactly like this ever since...now however I have a new job (I say new but I got it about 5 months after that thread :p ) and I have resumed work on the house...
Here are some pics
There's new drywall that's gone up (don't judge on the joints lol, not a pro but once it's done it'll be fine), I re-stained the siding on the first floor and, later, the trim on the second to match, I'll finish it soon. I also cleared out all the weeds and overgrowth in the front yard, changed the storm door (this new one came from the Habitat ReStore like much of what I'm using), and put in new flooring in the bathroom (peel & stick, nothing fancy). Friday I'll be leaving for a weeklong trip there where I hope to get much accomplished, such as finishing the drywall, installing the rest of the flooring, putting in the back door I have, finishing the insulation downstairs, etc

DPP_0043.jpg

DPP_0010.jpg

DPP_0017.jpg

DPP_0061.jpg

DPP_0002.jpg

DPP_0038.jpg

floor.jpg

wall.jpg

yard.jpg

front.jpg

Good to see you back!!
Ready for some constructive criticizm? You know it's to help you out!:D
Your 4th picture structurally scares the HE double hockey sticks out of me.:eek:
You should get someone out there to help you figure it out.
And to get the sheetrock tape joints a little better, use a wider trowel, it helps to fan it out along the wall. And don't really mess with it while it is still wet, you can never get it perfect while it is wet. I let it dry, and hit the high spots with a damp sponge afterwards. Then any monor sanding after that dries.
Other than that, keep up the good work., and good luck.:)

The insulation was just quickly done while I was there, I had some leftover stuff from a different job...it's not going to stay like that...it was just freezing and I wanted to get what I had up as quick as possible! As for the joints, I'll give it a shot

Also, just gave the 4th pic another look...if you're talking about the wiring, it's just temporary...I haven't yet nailed down the final layout for that space so I didn't want anything permanent yet

Looks like fun. Have you got a plan for venting the shed roof and is the top roof vented above insulation.

There are soffit vents on the second floor and will be on the first when it's finished up

You want air flow from the soffit vent to venting on or near the peak and when your ceiling is the rafters you need venting between each set of rafters. On the the top you could add a ridge vent. On the lower roof you need some kind of vent on the lower roof between each set of rafters near the wall above.
This site talks about the benifits of not venting it and what could be done instead.
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/qa/venting-a-shed-roof.aspx

The floating ridge at the end of the shed dormer...and the post holding up a single 2 by with log joists is interesting. I'm just wondering what the joists are being held up with?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean ID but here is better pic of that area
Also, I think there is a ridge vent on the gable roof, the shed roof of course is not vented out at the top but it's not closed in (yet)

DPP_0060.jpg

Just gave your Q another look, are you asking what is securing the oak floor joists to the 2x6? It's got those metal brackets on it, it's all very solid

I think Inspector is talking about a beam of some sort that we cannot see that should be there. Where the shed roof runs into the wall above, there should be a beam holding up the floor and the wall above and the upper roof and of coarse the weight of the shed roof.

Oh okay...here's a pic of that...the shed roof is not original, it's built under the original framing...not the way I woulda done it but it's workable...needs flashing though...here's a pic of that

DSCF2461.jpg

That is what inspector was worried about. That is not strong enough. The easy fix would be, peel all that white goop off and put two 2x10s between the posts and add 2 studs to each post to hold it up. That will hold up the upper structure and you can nail the shed roof to it too.

That's one area. It looks like there is already a sag in that ridge board. Also , those rafters should have hangers on them, that is a shallow pitch for the roof and they end up being joists. If it leaks here over time, there ends up bein nothin but bad news.
Good thing it's really easy to fix now.:D

I'm still curious as to what is holding up those logs.:eek:

That is what inspector was worried about. That is not strong enough. The easy fix would be, peel all that white goop off and put two 2x10s between the posts and add 2 studs to each post to hold it up. That will hold up the upper structure and you can nail the shed roof to it too.
I've got 2x6s to run alongside the existing joists as well, so adding that in won't be any big deal. The guy who built the house clearly didn't know what he was doing...you outta see the house he built next door 0.o
I may not know exactly what I'm doing either but that's why I'm here :cool:

Eight ft is to much for 2x6s, I don,t see the logs that inspector talked about. But what is this house sitting on?

Here we go
New (used) back door, I cut a big ol' hole in the house, framed it in, and screwed it up, easy peezy
Retrofitted in a vintage 5 panel door I had, the 1x4 trim is temporary, once I ultimately rip the clapboard off I'll put the new stuff up to the new door
Closet and bathroom doors
Ran some permanent electrical in the utility room, just need to fasten the wire to the wall with a clamp
Finished staining the trim outside, deck and siding will be next
Drywall and vinyl floor in the kitchen
Updated pic of the front

I did not reinforce the structure but I did get the lumber to do so

DPP_0243.jpg

DPP_0244.jpg

DPP_0227.jpg

DPP_0247.jpg

DPP_0248.jpg

DPP_0266.jpg

DPP_0218.jpg

DPP_0252.jpg