Carrier Infinity ICS

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brinkboslice

Reaction score
Hey All,
I recently started having trouble with my HVAC system. I noticed that the blower wasn't blowing warm air so I checked the furnace and got a limit circuit fault. Heat eventually did start blowing throughout all of the vents only to stop once again. I didn't know what to do so I called someone to come look at my system. He said that the limit circuit fault was likely due to a clogged air filter. He changed the filter and did some other things and the HVAC stopped throwing the error code. He also looked at the fan on the side of my house and told me that the compressor in the heat pump was shorted to ground. He told me that the compressor need to be replaced and that the heat pump/fan was probably too close to the house (he wasn't sure as he said he wasn't very familiar with the Carrier Infinity ICS that I have). He then said that the heat pump needed to be relocated so that the problem doesn't occur again when the new compressor gets installed.

Now, I have a couple questions. Does a compressor that is "shorted to ground" require a replacement? And second, Is a relocation of the heat pump/fan really necessary? It's about 6 inches from the side of the house.

I've lived in the house for 2 1/2 years and haven't had a problem. Anyone have any input/advice? THANKS!

Does a compressor that is "shorted to ground" require a replacement? Yes
Is a relocation of the heat pump/fan really necessary? No

Latest posts

Back