How much does your property taxes run?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneEtch

Reaction score
Kind of curious to see the different rates across the nation.

I have a few houses in Philadelphia, nothing all that expensive, they're all worth between 75-100k, taxes run between $525. per year to about $800, but if you go a few miles north to the suburbs, they quadruple, or across the bridge to new jersey, they are several grand at least.

I'm near dresher pa, taxes are about 3 or 4 grand on a house worth about 250k

South of Chicago, 250K house $5,000+ yr.

House 200k and 75 acres runs 800/yr here in Tennnessee.

House in Allison Park, PA (about 12 miles north of Pittsburgh). Assessed at $107,900. Total taxes (County, Municipality, School*) about $3,250 per year.
The school tax is the killer, about $2,400.

My property taxes a year is $3400. On the 1st of Jan. I am going to apply to get it lowered.

Up here in Victoria, BC I run about $1500/year for a 9000 square foot lot and a 1967 1500 square foot rancher.

600k home, 74' x 170' lot size: 11,500 taxes per year. And that's not even considered terrible in this area. Welcome to New Jersey.

The real problem with this "comparison" is:

1. The very same house may be valued differently at a different location
2. The land value is unknown
3. The taxes may only be assessed at a percentage of the appraised value
4. The appraised value may be old
5. Some states have "homestead" exemptions that lower tax bills
6. Even looking at the millage rate ($ per $1000 of assessed value) doesn't always tell the story.

Sometimes it's very difficult to see why there are such great differences in property taxes. I've seen 1200 sq ft homes with property taxes of over $20,000 as well as ones with taxes of $250

birken said:
How many sq feet is your 600k home?

That's a good question, I dont know exactly. We just got under contract for it today. Had the inspection today as well. It's a big house. 1899 Colonial, 3 floors 6 bedrooms plus a basement. I'll post the sq footage when I know it.

The area is nice and the school systems are supposedly very good so the taxes are rather high. At least in my opinion.

1906 farmhouse on 6 acres about two miles off the main street of a small city (pop 11,000) in the Finger Lakes,NY. Beautiful lot, needs work, though...

Got lucky and paid less than the assessed value of 100K. Well, that's why I'm here, to fix this place up and build equity in it...With STAR and vet's bennies I pay about 2,000. Really, I could be paying double if the "man" catches up to me:cool: .

About 20 mi outside New Orleans 1600sf asess. 115k Pre Katrina $110.00 yr

2006 assessment said $227K (land and building total). 2005 tax bill was $3,900. Near Madison, Wisconsin. Paid $186K for the house 2.5 years ago...I think my taxes are about to go up!

I have a 2300 sq. ft. home that is in a very desirable area and I pay $1200 a year in property tax. Homes in my area are selling for about $125 per sq. ft. average, so I believe we have low property taxes.

Latest posts

Back