Cost of installing a glass block window?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves is bathrooms without windows. They always seem dank and mildewy. Well, the house I'm about to buy has two windowless bathrooms!

I consider myself a fairly handy guy but cutting a hole in an exterior wall and properly installing a window there is not something I feel confident doing, so I'll probably buy glass block windows (the ones with vents in them--I've seen these going for about $100) and then pay someone to install them.

How much should I expect to pay for this service, per window?

The house is a single story ranch and the exterior walls in question border the yard with no obstructions, so it couldn't be simpler in terms of access.

As for what's on the interior, one of the bathrooms has a tiled shower stall and the other has a bathtub with a prefab wall wrap. Both of these fixtures are along the exterior wall, and I'd want the windows installed in the middle of each one. Is there a big problem with that idea?

And finally, can anyone recommend a contractor in the Central Ohio region?

I'd probably be looking to get this done sometime before the end of October.

There are several variables, such as, what is the exterior wall finish and how close to the property line are the walls where these windows are to be installed?

As for a contractor in your area, you can use this search engine; http://www.thebluebook.com

Last edited:
What's the first thing everyone does to a bathroom window?
Covers it up with curtains.
Those solar tubs can light the room so much you'll think you forgot to turn off the light and should be far easier and cheaper to install.
You need real exhaust fans ran to the outside if there is none there now!

There are several variables, such as, what is the exterior wall finish and how close to the property line are the walls where these windows are to be installed?

As for a contractor in your area, you can use this search engine; http://www.thebluebook.com
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Exterior finish is vinyl siding. Not near the property line--there's probably at least 10 or 15 feet of lawn from the side of the house to the property line, maybe more.

Have you considered solartube skylights?

What's the first thing everyone does to a bathroom window?
Covers it up with curtains.
Those solar tubs can light the room so much you'll think you forgot to turn off the light and should be far easier and cheaper to install.
You need real exhaust fans ran to the outside if there is none there now!
Glass block windows distort what's behind them enough so we wouldn't need curtains. I'll bet there's even some additional frost coating we could get if that's an issue.

There are exhaust fans in the bathrooms, but like I said, without sunlight the bathroom always seems dank and mildewy to me.

I've never heard of solar tubes...looking into it a bit, they look cool but I figure those would probably be way more expensive to purchase and install than glass block windows. Plus, with windows like the one I linked to in the OP you can open them and let steamy air out. Solar tubes could make a nice additional upgrade later on though.

Last edited:
I like a window in the Bathroom, but I'm not a big fan of glass block windows. The trick is in cutting the hole, not the kind of window you put in. I can understand the privacy issue though. It just never feels like the little slot in a glass block window is gonna supply any kind of air exchange.
I'm sure you (or your pro) can get through the tile smoothly, but you have to create a good seal between the window frame and the shower installation. Maybe have to replace a few tiles, which means matching or finding a complementary border tile.

You still need a header over the window and from what I have seen the premade glass block windows have a wood frame. I have put a real skinny window above the shower stall but that depends on the framing of the house.
Picture from inside and outside.might help.
The last thing I would want to do is cut the tub surround

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Exterior finish is vinyl siding. Not near the property line--there's probably at least 10 or 15 feet of lawn from the side of the house to the property line, maybe more.

Thanks. I was concerned about them needing to be fore rated.

The next concern would be the interior aesthetics, so you'll need to find someone fairly broadly experienced.

Last edited:
Here is a window a company in my home town is making. The beauty of it is it requires no framing and fits between the 16” on center studs. It would be a simple install, all except what you might get into cutting the tile. If you wanted frosted they sell a frosted film you could apply to any glass window. I had it in my old house bathroom windows and it lasted 30 years and looked like new.

http://www.geometricswindows.com/

$150 and a couple DIY hours and you have a window.

Last edited:
Here is a window a company in my home town is making. The beauty of it is it requires no framing and fits between the 16” on center studs. It would be a simple install, all except what you might get into cutting the tile. If you wanted frosted they sell a frosted film you could apply to any glass window. I had it in my old house bathroom windows and it lasted 30 years and looked like new.

http://www.geometricswindows.com/

How well woulkd the inner seal to the outer, to protect the framing and insulation.

How well woulkd the inner seal to the outer, to protect the framing and insulation.

The outer seals behind the siding but I doubt any window is designed to be put inside a shower. That’s just not a good idea.

In the old days my dad bought a bunch of glass blocks and built them right into the block walls. That was pretty water tight. Now I see these block windows that just mount in like any old window as a big unit. I don’t see sealing up in a shower to tile.

The outer seals behind the siding but I doubt any window is designed to be put inside a shower. That’s just not a good idea.

In the old days my dad bought a bunch of glass blocks and built them right into the block walls. That was pretty water tight. Now I see these block windows that just mount in like any old window as a big unit. I don’t see sealing up in a shower to tile.

For an installation for people that just won't take no for an answer?????????

Back