Efficient Thermostat Differential Setting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertn84

Reaction score
I have a programmable thermostat, and I cannot adjust the differential setting. I am looking for a programmable thermostat that I can adjust the differential setting up to 3 degrees.

For example, the temperature is set at 70 degrees. In the winter, the furnace will kick on when the temperature falls to 67 degrees. It will then run until the house is heated to 70 degrees. It will then shut off until the temperature falls back down to 67 degrees.

This is preferable than having the furnace kick on and off every 30 minutes to maintain a constant temp of 70 degrees. Too much wear and tear on the furnace and AC.

this is the one I use, has more features than most. They do have other models with 9 "holiday" settings so you don't freeze when your off work for the weekday holidays. It does require a "common" wire from the furnace.

https://www.tcsbasys.com/features.php?pn=sz1022

very sensitive, If I walk past it my tailwind will cause it to kick on when it's close to the offset temperature.
And yes, an offset of 2-3 degrees will prevent "short cycling" of your furnace.

You may benefit more from better insulation in the walls. Sounds like your room cools down too fast.
The offset might not make a difference, just the temp that the heat kicks on. It may come on sooner but it will come on just as often.

Good point slownsteady
That's exactly my issue. I found out my home was built without house wrap. Heat just pours out my walls and the wind pumps into the home especially on windy days.
I just don't get it house was built in 1997.

Last edited:
Back