raise a house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmann

Reaction score
want to know if there are any videos or pic of this process want to see what i,m in for

Well if you are a redneck you could expect something like this for moving a house. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbh0_hk680A]YouTube - Redneck house movers[/ame]

But your average professional will do something like this sweet time lapse of them lifting a house and adding an above ground basement

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Q5sTo3Nms]YouTube - House lift Timelapse[/ame]

hope that helps
Justin

Welcome Gmann:
Well you tube doesn't leave any questions.
If you are raising your house yourself there are some precautions you should take. First, move deliberately and safely the witch was killed in the Wizard of Oz when the house fell on her and the same thing can mean your end; PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
I have raised a few small houses, like 12 to 24 inches. We used beams of wood under bearing walls and a 2 ton jack every 4' across the beams. Raise one beam at a time and no more than 1/4" at a time. Work in waves from one beam to another from front to back and start over again. Keep any beams cribbed up well while you are not working on them. One beam at a time,1/4" at a time and the house will eventually be raised to the position you want.
Glenn

I was around when a flat roof on a basement was lifted over a foot. My uncle wanted to see the work go faster and started putting too much pressure on the jack. He ended up caving almost 16' long of concrete block wall which, of course, had to then be replaced. We were living in the house at the time and it was novel to see snow falling in the living room! Glenn has good advice!
hth, Doug

Hey Justin:
I think the redneck video is the coolest thing! I think he may live right down the street from me; but then, that would be stereotyping, wouldn't it? Thank you for the light-hearted input.
Glenn

i thought it was funny when i went to look that it was one of the first couple of videos for house moving. a close second for the redneck house moving would have been the one where they lifted the trailerhouse part away from the rest of the house and set it down on the curb with a crane. Youtube can find you anything.

Comedy is the best way to look at things.

actually glenn I think i've been to that redneck trailer court before:cool: wasn't that your house we were moving a couple lots over????:D:D
Justin

The Redneck House Movers was the funniest! Thanks!
What did they do with the trailer is what I wanna know!! It had to be totally trashed but then they almost certainly knew that was gonna be the case before they started!
dn

Whadda mean wheres it goin...that is still a perfectly good huntin cabin....Off to through the woods with that skidder.:D:D

Latest posts

Back