Problem contractor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucas_Smith

Reaction score
Hello,

I had some work done on a new floor in my house, but the contractor severely scratched a kitchen cabinet door during the renovation. (The renovation was for the floor only.)

I paid them $3000 (half of the $6000 cost) before the project started. They finished the job on the new floor about two months ago (early February 2010), but have not fixed the damaged door and have not offered to pay me the cost to replace it. They sent me an invoice for the remaining $3000, and I replied by email asking what they are going to do about the damaged door. They never responded. Naturally, I do not want to pay them the remaining $3000 until this is resolved. I do not want to pay it until they fix the door, or pay me the cost to replace the door.

Does anyone know what is likely to happen? Is there a period of time after which they no longer have the right to ask me to pay the remaining $3000? Could they be waiting for long enough for me not to pay, at which point they can legally (I'm in Canada by the way) force me to pay somehow?

If I had it my way, I'd pay them $1500 of the remaining $3000, and fix it myself, and that would be the end of it.

I am just worried that if I let it sit without resolving it, somehow things won't work out in my favor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Lucas

If I had it my way, I'd pay them $1500 of the remaining $3000, and fix it myself, and that would be the end of it.

FIFTEEN HUNDRED BUCKS to repair or replace a cabinet door. ARE YA KIDDIN' ME Lucas?

Sounds to me like you are a real piece of work my friend.

Why not take the door to a painter or somewhere that can replace it and remedy the problem. Then send the flooring contractor the money you owe him less the cost of the door repair? Sounds like you can't afford to pay the balance you owe the guy and you are looking to make a buck on his misfortune.

Why have you waited two months to resolve this?

"Problem Contractor" indeed!

Unbelievable!!!

You'll just end up with a lien on your house for the amount due, there is no "limit" on a balance due for work; there may be limitations on civil suits, but the money will still always be owed. Better hope you never need to refinance or sell your house cause you'll need to up the amount of the lien.

Latest posts

Back