Which Inserts ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuthouse82

Reaction score
Just bought a new 1911 home:help: So...I have 105 year old windows with original single pane glass. They are BEAUTIFUL! Great honeycomb panes, but alas...these are single pane....I have found two cpmp[anies that make windo inserts that are somehat geared to preserving these beautiful windows. The wooden frames are in excellent shape, but I need to figure out a way to insulate some without sacrificing the integrity of the window.

One maker is Energysavr, and they seem to have figured this out and still keep cost pretty low.
The other is Indow Windows. More pricey.

I really can not tell the difference online, so I thought I would see who here has experience with either company.

and oh yeah....I have 17 pretty large windows to do....cost is a HOOGE factor.

thanks!

I have seen double glased windows made to fit into the frames on the inside leaving the old windows in place and welcome to the site.

House looks like a beauty. Good luck with it. Can't help you much with the window question, maybe you'll have some luck with "this Old House" website.

I have seen double glased windows made to fit into the frames on the inside leaving the old windows in place and welcome to the site.

I have seen those too, but they are not very cost effective; almost like doing a replacement @ about $200+ The window inserts that I have seen act almost like an interior insulation...rubber gasket fitted around a flexible vinyl frame with a very clear flexible plexiglass-type plate. The reports and reviews I have read are all very positive in regards to durability, clarity, sound and weather insulating factors...and they are cost effective....it looks like I can do each window for around $45-$50 each.

ANd I am glad I found this site...I am a handy man train-wreck and need all the helpo I can get! :beer:

I think for a big expence like that you want to take some time to research the products and proceedures. As you are soon against winter I would use the plastic that you put up and shrink on the inside and you will be in a better bargaining position in the spring.

I think for a big expence like that you want to take some time to research the products and proceedures. As you are soon against winter I would use the plastic that you put up and shrink on the inside and you will be in a better bargaining position in the spring.

I really won't need much ...remember that our winters here are probably more like an early fall to you. We may get one or two snows of less than 6" each and most of the time no more than a few days below feezing...average low in Jan for me is around 30* and the average high is about 50* and mostly sunny to boot...right now I think it is a frigid 77*...so I don't need a whole lot in insulating finesse, just enough. The expense won't be terrible either...I estimated about $750 to do each window...the claims are that it could reduce my bill as much as 25% or more...I know, "claims." But I am willing to gamble.
Ok...so now....what is this plastic you speak of that you "shrink on the inside" ?

A thin film installed with double sided tape and then shrunk with a hair dryer, see a kit here.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AXXD7O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Windows are the last place I would start as even the best might get you R 5. Better money is spent first in the attic and then the walls.
Blocking every hole into the attic from the house like hole for wires and light fixture and plumbing vents should be sealed so no moisture from the house gets up there and once you know there is enough veting up there, add insulation there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back