Silly Door Framing Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the point of the criticism was?

So; do you think a mistake or misleading information should not be challanged and just let it be as someones opinion.
The next time Villa hangs a door, he will check the measurements and come back and talk about it. Obveously his rough opening was more than 2"

So; do you think a mistake or misleading information should not be challanged and just let it be as someones opinion.
The next time Villa hangs a door, he will check the measurements and come back and talk about it. Obveously his rough opening was more than 2"

However, for you to be absolutely certain that the post was misleading, would you not have had to travel to his location, visited all of his suppliers and assisted him in an installation?

Instead of presuming that a casual reader would select that post to hang their hat on, totally ignoring the broadness of the discussion and the relevance it offers in increasing a knowledge base for hanging doors?

However, for you to be absolutely certain that the post was misleading, would you not have had to travel to his location, visited all of his suppliers and assisted him in an installation?

Instead of presuming that a casual reader would select that post to hang their hat on, totally ignoring the broadness of the discussion and the relevance it offers in increasing a knowledge base for hanging doors?

Maybe you are right about readers sorting it out and getting it right, but I don't have to go anywhere to know it is impossible to put to put a swing door slab in a frame, in a hole 1" wider than the slab.
So what exactly is ypour problem with all of this?

Maybe you are right about readers sorting it out and getting it right, but I don't have to go anywhere to know it is impossible to put to put a swing door slab in a frame, in a hole 1" wider than the slab.

"sorting it out and getting it right"?

How about learning from the information presented?

Knowing what to ascertain prior to making a decision and ordering product?

Understanding the solutions to conditions encountered?

So what exactly is ypour problem with all of this?

Again, you have no Idea what his suppliers have to offer, yet you have elected to criticize his experience as unworkable and use an "internet" standard as your justification.

Maybe you should try walking in his shoes, before you speak.

Why is there any kind of rule based around the size of the finished door in the first place. Shouldn’t it be for a pre-hung door you take the outside dimension of the frame and add X”. So the question is what would you like X to be in an ideal world for shimming. For me X between .5 and .75 on the width and leave enough on the height depending on how much flooring is going in plus another .75 ?????

Why is there any kind of rule based around the size of the finished door in the first place. Shouldn’t it be for a pre-hung door you take the outside dimension of the frame and add X”. So the question is what would you like X to be in an ideal world for shimming. For me X between .5 and .75 on the width and leave enough on the height depending on how much flooring is going in plus another .75 ?????

Exactly, know the product and proceed accordingly.

Another reason I do not use pre-hung doors is that if I, or a customer, wants to add a hinge to a pre-hung installation, I need to carry 3 different router bits and router setups.

Can you imagine the response when I tell a customer that I'll charge $200 for a job I'd normally charge $85 for, because I do not have the router set-up that matches the product they have, and need to purchase them?

"sorting it out and getting it right"?

How about learning from the information presented?

Knowing what to ascertain prior to making a decision and ordering product?

Understanding the solutions to conditions encountered?

Again, you have no Idea what his suppliers have to offer, yet you have elected to criticize his experience as unworkable and use an "internet" standard as your justification.

Maybe you should try walking in his shoes, before you speak.

This already long past silly. But what the hell.
Let's say you are framing the wall and plan calls fpr a 2' 6" door and you are hanging the door your self, how wide do you frame the RO?
I have walked in those shoes thanks. Drywall is finished when you find out someone has framed the opening to small.

This already long past silly. But what the hell.

Maybe you should have thought of that, before you elected to criticize and label as misinformation, someones experience, and to then presume that a casual reader is so lacking in common sense as to not afford themselves exposure to the wealth of information in the thred, just to a single post.

Let's say you are framing the wall and plan calls fpr a 2' 6" door and you are hanging the door your self, how wide do you frame the RO?

What, after all, does that have to do with height?

I have walked in those shoes thanks.

But not in his shoes, and until you do you have no point of reference.

Drywall is finished when you find out someone has framed the opening to small.

That doesn't happen on my projects, but if it did, I've long since discovered the pencil and block plane.

Most people come here to teach or learn, you sir are just a waste of time. Cute only goes so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back