Removing Caulk Applied in 1923?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumi

I think I can...
Reaction score
My basement windows are made with a steel frame that tips in and up. They have three panels each. I need to replace a broken pane in one.

What would be the best approach to remove this ancient, dried out, hardened indoor caulk? Do I try to chip it out, try heating it up, grind it out?

Thanks guys, Rumi.

What you likely have is window putty and wood frames. This a little tricky if you have never seen it one.
Google : removing old window putty, and watch a few videos and read some of the info there.

Re-did an old house with funky windows ... two stories plus a half-buried basement.

Start with a Putty Chaser. It allows you to use a drill and a bit to carve the bulk of the putty out of the window. Wear a mask.

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-6...=60258978012&gclid=CK2F7teXwLoCFQmCQgoduDMACg

Easy Off Oven Cleaner does soften the remainder making it easier to scrape out ... OR, get a heat gun, a stiff scraper, and a firm wire brush. Be persistent, patient, and determined. It will be worth it when you are done.

The

Neal, the frames are definitely metal, which will be better than worrying about tearing up wood like you mentioned. :cool:

Thanks for your ideas guys, I have a heat gun, and I'll look into the Putty Chaser as well. ;)

Latest posts

Back