Cats

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Got new neighbors and they brought cats. Now my yard is filled with cat poop and I want them gone.

Any suggestions? I read that I can sprinkle paprika all over the place but that does not seem to be working.

cats don't usually poop in public places, they usually do it in private and cover it up to prevent their predators from knowing they are there. If they are new to the neighborhood they might be setting their territory, which will end once they scent what they think is there new home. Hopefully...

Cat repellent which is Granulated wolf urine. Suppose to last a month.
My dog keeps the neighborhood cats away.

cats don't usually poop in public places, they usually do it in private and cover it up to prevent their predators from knowing they are there. If they are new to the neighborhood they might be setting their territory, which will end once they scent what they think is there new home. Hopefully...

I hope that's the case. I really hate waking up to cat poop when I take out the trash.

Are you for sure it's a cat making the mess? We had a chicken running around the neighborhood for a while that left some calling cards in the drive. I had a hard convincing the Mrs. that it was a chicken and not a cat.

If the cats have a sand box outside, they will use it like a litter box. If you are sure it is the neighbor cats, have a chat with him to maybe put in a sand box, assuming you don't mind the cats otherwise. Actually, cats are a real asset to have around - they will clean out the mice that can otherwise do hundreds of dollars worth of damage to your cars and home.

They hate orange peel and any citrus scent and moth ball smell too..i kept some away with em ..

It's pretty bad still, and nothing seems to be working.

My dogs got one of the cats the other day. I felt bad about it, but at the same time if my dogs got onto someone else's property and got hurt I think I would be understanding.

Haven't seen that cat, but we're still seeing a lot of cat feces, so nothing we've tried is working.

It's pretty bad still, and nothing seems to be working.

My dogs got one of the cats the other day. I felt bad about it, but at the same time if my dogs got onto someone else's property and got hurt I think I would be understanding.

Haven't seen that cat, but we're still seeing a lot of cat feces, so nothing we've tried is working.

Are you sure the neighbor isn't flipping cat droppings in your yard for you? Are you friendly with this neighbor?

Did your cat problem get resolved? I used to not be a cat person til we actually got a few as outdoor cats (we are in the country). The days of mice scurrying on our basement ceiling, chewed up spark plug wires on car and lawn mower, and smelly mouse crap all ended. Now, I am a cat fan. The only downfall is that cats also kill birds. You might want to put in your own sand box or litter box - cats will use it. If you don't want this and simply want the cats to stop, and your neighbor is not cooperative, you could always set up a live trap. A raccoon trap will catch them very easily, as I have caught my own cat and a stray cat in mine trying to catch a raccoon - then quietly hand them over to the city shelter.

Cats are not an asset to have around if you enjoy having wild birds in the yard. They will instinctively kill any and all birds they can, just for the fun of it. And contrary to a previous post, they will crap wherever they want to, whether it's public or private space. I've never understood why people allow a pet they claim to be fond of and otherwise take good care of, to simply run loose and roam the countryside.

I've worked up a reasonable plan when trying to deal with other people's cats doing their thing in my yard. I always first make verbal contact, politely telling the neighbor(s) that I don't appreciate having their animals in my yard, killing birds right at the feeders or crapping in the kids' sandbox. If the talking doesn't bring results, I then go to Plan B, which involves an assortment of very effective solutions. Ranging from using the pellet gun, to catching them in a live trap and then taking a nice ride in the country, or even to a neighboring town's animal shelter (after the ID tags are first removed, of course).

We have one outside cat. And I am yet to see it crap anywhere but in some sand we have or other place I am yet to stumble upon, but yes, it would probably crap in a sandbox. Our cat stays on our property (in the country) so it is not a nuisance to neighbors. It has its shots and is neutered. And it does a darn good job on the mice but does kill a few birds. And I would guess it is pretty happy to be outside, with a sheltered place in the shed, with cushion, and heat lamp running in the winter. Probably would not work too well in the city. I so much hate mice and the filth, damage, and even dangerous and even deadly disease they can spread - the cat and a few less birds is a good trade off. See http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/09/07/yosemite-extends-hantavirus-warning-death-toll-rises/ about the disease mice spread.

Your city probably has ordinances about peoples pets just roaming free - you can get law enforcement involved and this will all stop. Better to try and work it out first in person though.

Last edited:
Back