Kenmore Fridge Compressor Not Starting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_nap

Reaction score
I get the standard buzzing and then the compressor doesn't start. I unplugged the fridge and let it cool down for a few hours and I get the same result. The resistance in the compressor (according to my cheap multimeter) is 2 ohms (not the 3-9 the manual indicates it should be). The relay seems to check fine, but I'm not sure about the capacitor... When I check it's resistance the meter's needle jumps toward zero then quickly back to infinity. Any advice would be appreciated.

There are TWO windings in the motor inside your compressor. Those two windings (the start winding and the run winding) will be in parallel. That is, one end of each winding will connect to the white wire.

When you take the start relay off the fridge compressor, you should see three terminals. Measure the resistance across each pair of terminals to get three readings. If there are no shorts in your motor's windings, two of those resistances should add up to the third.

Phone the electronics instructor at your local trade school. He'll have better test equipment that can accurately check your capacitor.

I would replace the relay to be sure as it's a lot cheaper than any compressor work.
I think you're just draining the charge out of the capacitor. It seems ok.

Back