Roof?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrider

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals...

Well it's been about three years since i started asking about what type of new flat roof would go on a coastal house...presently it has some silver foamed that has hardened with spider cracks on it. Most houses are here have the old standby tar and pea gravel...yes i heard that is good...however you have to find someone that knows what he is doing with hot tar.

So the last time ...i got up there ...almost 8 months ago...same routine putty knive and just plain gualking to fill in the cracks...inner ceiling hasn't shown any water marks this past winter...so no leaks so far.

Ok...here's my latest thought on the roof...the house is a keeper...so what about lead sheeting? Is it practical ...too expensive...too heavy on a flat roof house built in the 1920? I referred to it as my antique house...lol!

The roof though flat has slight slopes hopefully directing the water off into only one drain pipe off the side. So using metal sheeting (lead) would have to be carefully sealed i assume.

Your thoughts input opinions appreciated...Thanks Starrider

I have never seen lead by itself used as a roofing membrane on flat roofs. It is very soft and does not solder easy. An option would be flat lock copper panels or even lead coated copper panels (if your pocket can stand it) if the water will run off on stone/stucco walls.

On residential flat roofs I really like the newer systems that are available from GAF Liberty, Certainteed Flintlastic or ABC Roofing Supply Mulehide.

I have never seen lead by itself used as a roofing membrane on flat roofs. It is very soft and does not solder easy. An option would be flat lock copper panels or even lead coated copper panels (if your pocket can stand it) if the water will run off on stone/stucco walls.

On residential flat roofs I really like the newer systems that are available from GAF Liberty, Certainteed Flintlastic or ABC Roofing Supply Mulehide.

Thanks Oldog...forgot to mention the side walls extend approximately 2 feet above the roof and so a cut out for one drain pipe down the side ...that's the way they were built...most of the homes were built in the 40s or earlier...and usually rebuilt from the inside out at some time later.

So no stone...just wood framed construction...

Thanks for the reply ...

Latest posts

Back