Painting Exterior Columns

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doldroyd

Reaction score
I have 4 exterior columns. 3 are fiberglass and the largest one is wood. They are currently an ugly brown and the paint is flaking off everywhere - the wooden column is showing bare wood. It is in my front entry and it looks terrible! Bids have been far more than I am willing to pay. As much as I don't like to paint I figured it would be worth it to save the money. Looking for advice for doing it right and making it look nice.

1. I am assuming I need to scrape all the loose paint off - what is the best way to do this? The tops and bases are a bit ornate and the mid sections are smooth but rounded.
  2. Once the loose paint is off, do I need to sand? The exposed wood seems pretty rough.
  3. Is there something I should use to seal the wooden column before painting?
  4. They get quite a bit of sun exposure - is there anything that will help so I don't have to paint so frequently?
  5. What kind of paint? As I mentioned, they are brown but I want to paint them white.

Also, I have a steal front door that has faux paint to look like wood. The sun has dulled it's appearance. Is there a a clear coat finish I can put on it to help liven it up again?

Thanks!
Deb

I say

1. Sand it
2. Fill holes / gaps with a wood filler
2. Use a good exterior primer
3. Paint it

Sherwin Williams should be able to set you up with a good quality exterior primer and paint.

As far as the front door, I don't think a clear coat will help with any dulness brought on by the sun, your best option might be to repaint that as well. Clear coats usually enhance defects..

I say

1. Sand it
2. Fill holes / gaps with a wood filler
2. Use a good exterior primer
3. Paint it

Sherwin Williams should be able to set you up with a good quality exterior primer and paint.

As far as the front door, I don't think a clear coat will help with any dulness brought on by the sun, your best option might be to repaint that as well. Clear coats usually enhance defects..
I agree with this post.

About the door remove any failing urethane and reseal. If it does not restore it back to satisfaction you may have to have door regrained.

Latest posts

Back