Weird.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gan_nair

Reaction score
Everytime something like the microwave door shuts, or we turn on or off the fan in the bathroom, its like it interfers with the tvs. Not anything else, that I know of really, but I can be watching tv, then my Mom shut the door on the microwave, or turn on/off the fan in the bathrooms, and I will see just a quick signal interferance with my tv. It is the same way with all the tvs, its not damaging anything that I know of, but what is causing it, and is it actually something serious that needs to be looked into? Also my Dad and his friend who is basically an electrician looked at the wiring in the house, and tested the wires and outlets all throughout the house a couple years ago when this first started happening, and they found nothing.

We had another problem with the breaker constantly being tripped, and they did find the problem with that, I dont know what it was, but they fixed that by putting in a new breaker box, and re wiring some things. Any ideas?

Hey David:
Make sure the electrical system is all three wire (each circut grounded) and that the new panel's grounding bar is grounded with a #4 bare copper wire running out to a ground rod beside the house. Most systems will show the starting of an air conditioner or washer but not the small things like the microwave and bath fan.
Glenn

Loose connections can cause surges and disruptions as the current arcs across the faulty connections.

Okay, I think I am going to leave this one up to my Dad and his friend, I found out that my Dad is going to help his friend install an engine in his truck and in return his friend is going to come back and check up on the wiring. I am really bad when it comes to wiring with anything. Its the only thing to do with my car, truck and motorcycles that I will not mess with, my Dad is like a wiring expert, so I am going to leave this one to him.

Another question though, this way I dont have to start a new thread, its about a ceiling fan in one of the bedrooms. Along time ago my brother and I were wrestling around and somehow I think it was a pillow or something, but the cable that turns the fan on and adjusts the level of speed for the fan, was hit and got caught up in the fan and was completely ripped out. Just another one of those stupid things that I want to fix. It has been a while now, and the reason we never replaced the fan or tried to fix it is because its in a room where nobody sleeps.

But the point is that I broke it, and I want to fix it, plus its getting pretty hot here in Texas, and a fan will do wonders even if youre just sitting at a computer in the room the broken fan is in. Any help would be greatly appreciated, also I looked in some of the DIY books I have, and found nothing like this, it may be because the only way to fix it is to replace it, I hope not, like I said money is an issue with me.

If the fan doesn't have a light kit on it, you can take the bottom plate off, usually with 1 screw sometimes 4 screws. Check the works inside the plate and, if there is some remnant of chain still there, you can hook onto it and extend it back out through the hole in the side. Let the chain hang down where an adult can reach it and use a decorative weight on it.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back