Faint water flow when using a newly installed shower mixer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lev

Reaction score
Good morning,

I bought a Symmons Allura shower kit with mixer, shower head etc.
The shower kit is pretty much the same as the shower/tub kit it seems, just with a plug for the tub outlet.

I installed the body (sweat connections), connected hot and cold per the instructions etc, put the valve in.
I turn on the water main. As expected at this point, the water doesn't come out (no leakage either).

When I turn the shower valve, only faint water flow comes out of the shower head pipe.

I tried replacing the spindle. Same exact result.
I wanted to see if the water can flow without the spindle.
I turned off the main, then unscrewed the spindle from the cap, and I put it through the other end of the cap. I screwed the cap back on to the body. So now the spindle is not inside the body, but the body is sealed from the valve end. I turned the main on and there it went - the flow was strong as I would've expected.

I am at a loss with what the problem could be. Seems like the spindle is not working well with the body, the seat, something.
Would really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks for reading.

Did you find out the problem? I have the same Allura valve, all new piping. If someone turned on the faucet in the bathroom the water dribbled out of the shower head.

I swapped out the shower head (The one that came with the Allura) and now every thing is fine, no water issues. I can't explain why, i don't see how the shower head and not the value is the issue for me.

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the responses.
Neal how are you :) Thanks, I called up Symmons and it was a combination of things.
Turns out, Home Depot sold me something that had been returned damaged before. Long story short, the cold water seat was damaged.. I had to get a large screw extractor (#8) to remove and replace the seat. Once I did that, things started working well.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back