Advice on Patio doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheCoast

Reaction score
I live on a major road in Florida and every room in my 4th floor Condo has a Patio door that looks out onto this busy road, my problem is there is an enormous amount of dust in my apartment and every time I clean it It's back a week later and I believe it is coming primarily from these old patio doors! is there any way of sealing this type of door while still allowing it to be opened and closed, the worst area is between where the backs of the 2 doors pass each other.

Do you own or rent the condo?

If you own it, it might be time to upgrade to new doors and they will pay for themselves in no time as a lot of condos bought some cheap doors and windows to save a few bucks.

There should be a weather strip to seal where you are talking about and if it is damaged it needs replaced. There are other ones on all the sliding surfaces.

Welcome to the forum.

Others will be along with advice shortly.

Doors and windows are defined by there action, IE., X, XO, XOX, or XX, X being the active member.

There are generally 3 methods of insulating the intersection, the frames interlock, there is a fibrous weather strip or a vinyl wiper.

The frames and/or the doors can also have a fibrous weather strip. Vinyl bulb is a more recent evolution.

Are the "X" members of the door correctly adjusted correctly, in that when slightly opened is the space between the door and frame equal over the height? When the door is closed and locked does the door move when the handle is pulled? With the door closed does a gentle bump on the pane frame where the 2 panels intersect cause a rattling?
Is the door adjusted above the bottom roller tract causing a lower weather strip to be ineffective?

Back