Window Replacement Advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolrevo

Reaction score
I would like to replace the windows of my house (built in 1993, located in Northern Alabama).

Picture of the window is attached.

I know I will have to take the windows off from the outside, by removing the outside trim and removing the nails on the nail strip. My questions:
[1] Should I purchase new construction windows or replacement windows? My guess is I will need new construction windows.
[2] Should I remove that drywall that is on the inside walls of the opening - until I reach the wood, or should I just measure and insert the new window directly into the opening you see in the picture?

Thank you for your time and assistance!

window.jpg

A new retrofit window will slide right into the existing opening with no muss, no fuss.

How about a photo of the exterior, at the same angle?

We see a lot of rot around windows, installation has changed much over the years.
When you use replacement windows you are trusting that the first installation has done it's job and will continue to work with the new windows.:2cents::2cents:

Replacement or new construction that stool and drywall may have to go.
Almost never will the new window jambs be the exact same depth as the old one.
(A window sill is outside, the stool is inside.)

Here are pictures of the same window, from the exterior.

I would like to take the window out from the outside, get rid of the old trim - without harming the siding.
As for the dry-wall and stool, my desire would be to only cut away as much depth as I need to fit in a new construction window - but there arises another dilemma. How would I insulate the gap - since there will be dry-wall obstructing the entrance to the gap I created.
I suppose I could cut away more dry-wall than I need for the window, in order to insert one of those expanding foam space filler tubes..? I definitely don't want to remove all of the dry-wall, I'd have to remove the metal corner pieces and re-plaster, re-paint every window surround. I have 10 windows that need replacing.

Any other thoughts?

exterior1.jpg

exterior2.jpg

Here are pictures of the same window, from the exterior.

Thanks.

I would like to take the window out from the outside, get rid of the old trim - without harming the siding.

It appears that the siding buts to the trim, as opposed to the trim being placed after the siding was installed.

If so, when you remove the trim the window nailing flange should be exposed. At that point you can accurately measure the width and height , as well as the cross section of the frame and the relief both ways from the nailing flange, which will enable you to determine how much of the interior DW and stool need to be trimmed.

Were it I, I would remove the stool, if necessary, trim and reinstall, allow 1/8" extra in the drywall trimming.

As for the dry-wall and stool, my desire would be to only cut away as much depth as I need to fit in a new construction window - but there arises another dilemma. How would I insulate the gap - since there will be dry-wall obstructing the entrance to the gap I created.

If the new windows are Identical in size there should not be a gap larger than can be comfortably filled with a bead of caulking.

Thanks for the input!
You have a good point there about removing the stool and trimming it separately. I should be able to do that without causing too much damage to the DW that needs to stay. This will allow me to shim the new window as needed, with the stool being out of the way.

The new windows (typically 3.5in deep) will surely be thicker than these skinny things of years past. Invariably, I would have to trim DW and the stool.

Wow, I have a lot of work ahead of me.. :(

Thanks to everyone for their replies!

Also for the exterior trim there are available composite and vinyl that are paintable and resistant to moisture.

Knife blades and a steady hand, sometime a bit of practice on scrap lends to familiarity.

Precisely my intention - to use composite trim; the previous owner of this house made some questionable choices..

Back