Glass Block Window for shower/exterior wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Neal.
I asked at HD if they could custom order a window with tempered glass and I told them the rough opening size. They said only window they could do with tempered glass in that size is an American Craftsman single hung window. I didn't see them on the HD website, but the price was around $186 (I think that is what she said-- I had a very hard time hearing her).
But if I can get that window you linked me from that other website with tempered glass, I'll go with it instead. I submitted an info request via their contact form and am waiting to hear from them. They were already closed when I was going to call.
Hell, at the price they are selling those windows, I might buy the one with tempered and four more without tempered (if I find that all 5 of the smaller windows are that size).

That outfit looked like outfits around here that make windows for new houses and get stuck with returns and mistakes. So anything that isn't listed there will be regular price but I like their prices.

That outfit looked like outfits around here that make windows for new houses and get stuck with returns and mistakes. So anything that isn't listed there will be regular price but I like their prices.
Ah.Well, it is still better than the HD price, even with tax. The HD price didn't factor in tax yet.

I went outside before it got dark and took pics and measured windows as best as I could. My measuring tape didn't want to stay still at the top so I think I'm a bit off.

I'm lazy so I put them all in a Tumblr post.

I discovered that the wood underneath my sliding glass door is badly rotted.

Last edited:
I stopped by Home Depot in person after dropping my brother off at the airport. Turns out I was given bad information on the phone. The window guy was puzzled about why I was told the window was American Craftsman and would cost $186. He said that it was PlyGem windows and American Craftsman was one of their lines. The 500 series vinyl windows can have tempered glass added for about $9 to $10. Base model is $91. If I get it with grids it goes up $15. And the exterior screen for the window is $5.78. With the screen on the plain window with safety glass it would be $106. With the grids it would be $121. I *think* the grids are between the panes (the windows are double-glazed and have argon).

This is the plain window: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ply-Gem-23-5-in-x-35-5-in-Single-Hung-Vinyl-Window-White-510/204293170

This is the one with grids: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ply-Gem-23-5-in-x-35-5-in-Single-Hung-Vinyl-Window-White-510/204293186

I asked the sales guy for windows that will work as replacements-- although the website says these are for "new construction". I wonder if that makes much of a difference. The only customer review said that the homeowner was able to install the window himself. He didn't specify if it was new construction or old though.

The installation instructions for the window mentions using weather resistant barrier OR pan flashing. I don't know which of those I would use or which would be better. But apparently it affects the caulking.

If I go up there again when the sales guy is less frazzled (he had just cut his finger and bled all over the floor before he came back from cleaning it up and getting a bandaid), I might find out if other brands of the vinyl windows can have the tempered glass and price them out.

The Plygem ones seemed fairly decent-- but I wonder if the tilt-in for cleaning thing is a good idea for a shower. Also, some of the windows in the store appeared to have some sort of felt or furry material that helped the windows slide up and down. I'm concerned this might be a trap for moisture and build up mildew & mold- or that the material could be damaged by moisture.

The felt strip is mainly for draft protection. And it's a good question if that stuff can suffer in a steamy bathroom. The tilt-in option shouldn't be a problem and definitely helps in cleaning.

Thanks. I will have to see if I can get in touch with the manufacturer to find out if the felt can survive inside of a shower.
Granted, I still plan to put up a little vinyl curtain over the opening to protect the window from direct spray, but I know heat and moisture will still reach it.

I think the most challenging part now will be the installation (once I get it ordered and make sure it is not broken). I think I will go back to the store and look at the windows again and see how they do on opening and closing.

I'm also trying to figure out if I can fix my kitchen window. It won't stay open-- just drops. I think it was installed in the late 1980s, but I'm not certain. Mom said something about that being a "new" window.

I know that you are getting tempered glass for the bathroom. you may also want to find out if a textured or frosted glass is available.
I thought about that, but I'm sure it would cost more and since I already plan to use a little curtain, I can get a frosted one. I don't want to complicate the order more than I have to. With my luck, I've decided it is best to just get the simplest one (with tempered glass). The more special stuff I want to add, the more chances of them screwing things up.

Edit because I posted stuff in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
in my opinion. do not put a window in a wet area

if you want more lite in your bathroom, put in a sun roof

Thanks. I will have to see if I can get in touch with the manufacturer to find out if the felt can survive inside of a shower.
Granted, I still plan to put up a little vinyl curtain over the opening to protect the window from direct spray, but I know heat and moisture will still reach it.

I think the most challenging part now will be the installation (once I get it ordered and make sure it is not broken). I think I will go back to the store and look at the windows again and see how they do on opening and closing.

I'm also trying to figure out if I can fix my kitchen window. It won't stay open-- just drops. I think it was installed in the late 1980s, but I'm not certain. Mom said something about that being a "new" window.

broom stick handle, fixed, next ?

broom stick handle, fixed, next ?
I usually prop it open with a bottle of Dawn. Although, I don't like opening it much since we had that full on nest of black widows behind the screen. Dad made liberal use of the RAID on that. LOL.

I actually think spiders are cool, but black widows and brown recluses need to die.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Ply Gem manufacturers but I heard from Jeld-wen-- they said the windows can't be in direct continuous water spray from either outside or inside (so no spraying the windows with a garden hose to clean them). Since I plan to put a curtain over the window from the inside it shouldn't be an issue-- but I don't like the no hose thing-- is that normal for windows these days?

I wonder if Ply Gem has the same rules for their windows.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Ply Gem manufacturers but I heard from Jeld-wen-- they said the windows can't be in direct continuous water spray from either outside or inside (so no spraying the windows with a garden hose to clean them). Since I plan to put a curtain over the window from the inside it shouldn't be an issue-- but I don't like the no hose thing-- is that normal for windows these days?

I wonder if Ply Gem has the same rules for their windows.

I have never heard of that.

Spraying with a garden hose is not considered "continuous". I think it means "do not install in Car Wash"
Except that the instructions/maintenance/care for the Jeld-wen specifically said not to spray the windows with a garden hose.

I get not pressure spraying them so they don't break, but they said that spraying with a hose would let water leak in to the walls.

Been too sick to call Ply Gem to ask them, but I don't recall seeing anything in their stuff about no hosing.

Latest posts

Back