Any advice on installing service-mast (through-the-roof) and semi-flush meter/main?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddmanqa

Reaction score
My current 200 AMP electrical service attaches to the rear of my single-family house's second-story roofline, and passes over a single story addition.

During an electrical inspection, the city inspector recommended that the service be raised up since anyone walking on the addition roof (or future teenager sneaking out from the second floor bedroom window above the addition roof) could grab hold of the service line.

My thought is to have a 2" steel mast raised above the roof line of the second story roof on the main house (Rigid Metallic Conduit), pass the pipe down through the roof, down through the exterior wall, and install a combined meter and external disconnect in a semi-flush fashion (so the box is inside the stud cavity, but projects out past the exterior cladding). That is, the pipe would be inside the wall, not mounted outside the wall. The service feed would then run into the subpanel that is in the basement.

This would also solve any safety issues when I plan on tyveking/residing the exterior of the house (since the cable currently runs down the side of the house/attaches to the siding).

I believe the mast must be within 4' of the edge of the roof, and the conductors must be a minimum of 18" above the roof.

To be clear, I will have me electrician do this work.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

My opinion I that you could safely ignore his recommendation.
Based his reasoning a single story house would have to have a 7 foot mast to avoid someone coming in contact with the wires and I have personally never seen a mast that tall, it would be unstable in high winds, not to mention look just plain ridiculous.

It seems like overkill to me as well. The entry cable shouldn’t pass close to a window where someone could reach out and touch it, but beyond that I wouldn’t be concerned. If you want to keep kids off the roof screw a stop block in the window so it will only open 8 inches.

Latest posts

Back