Leaks at cold cellar door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffykenwell

Reaction score
We have a leak in our basement where the cold cellar meets the basement wall. It is only leaking where the door is...no leaking along the wall on either side or anywhere else in the basement either in the cold cellar or out of it. We have to get this problem fixed but I am a bit confused as to what the best fix would be. After pulling off a bunch of the door frame the area above the door seems to be insulated with styrofoam (like that stuff that cheap coolers are made of). I am thinking this is the biggest source of the problem but I am not really a handy person so I don't have the faintest idea of where to start but I want to get the problem fixed ASAP. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steph

On a windy day use a candle flame to detect infiltration or, in the dark, use one of those $20, 1 million candlepower searchlights to look for light leakage around the door perimeter.

I'm convinced there is no ideal gasket, and you will be unable to duplicate factory methods of gasketing doors.

Back