If you fill a bucket with

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuzzat?

Reaction score
moist, non-compacted mostly clay soil, will the bucket
A. float
B. sink
?

What is the bucket made out of? Steel, wood or styrofoam?

Is it real somehow important?

In general, it would sink. With adequate information, I could give you an estimate of the rate of sinking if you know the density of the water (fsh or salt).

Dick

No specific reason but we deal with water mains and broken water mains constantly.(when I say mains I mean the mains in the street usually 6" or larger) my guys try all sorts of things with buckets to see what floats and what doesn't or how much they can put in a bucket before it sinks and now that I am typing this I realise they are probably just milking the clock messing around. I can't remember but we can fit a sand bag or two filled with dirt and the bucket will float nicely.

I can show that pipe floats too, this is 10" C900 Class 200 PVC Pipe

4409d1385137537-couple-pics-my-work-image-1127336891.jpg

When I was young I worked installing sewer pipes to houses, anytime we were leaving a pipe overnight we attach an elbow and filled it with water. We never had a trench full of water but I guess the boss had seen that movie. They always had a plug at the street for the test.

I needed to know how much fill dirt I could take to the transfer station at one time without exceeding a half ton load capacity, which translates to, How many 5 gal buckets of soil would this be?

So I took a sample of soil and measured the volume and the weight, and the density came out slightly less than that of water.

I didn't believe it so I put the (plastic) bucket in a pond.

It did float.

Whaddya', whaddya'. . .?

I needed to know how much fill dirt I could take to the transfer station at one time without exceeding a half ton load capacity, which translates to, How many 5 gal buckets of soil would this be?

So I took a sample of soil and measured the volume and the weight, and the density came out slightly less than that of water.

I didn't believe it so I put the (plastic) bucket in a pond.

It did float.

Whaddya', whaddya'. . .?

We don't have that luck, ours sink. Stupid CA Dirt.

When I was young I worked installing sewer pipes to houses, anytime we were leaving a pipe overnight we attach an elbow and filled it with water. We never had a trench full of water but I guess the boss had seen that movie. They always had a plug at the street for the test.

We usually center load the pipe with dirt especially when the rains are coming. My guys were in a hurry an "Forgot". I want to strangle them.

I wonder how many buckets this will take?

photo-23.jpg

50 miles from the Oso, WA slide. FEMA says we should be "ashamed of ourselves" for trying to piggyback the need for a road to our community on that tragedy. 250 people's homes are cut off and they think we're just whining?

FEMA says we should be "ashamed of ourselves" for trying to piggyback the need for a road to our community on that tragedy. 250 people's homes are cut off and they think we're just whining?
FEMA takes the high moral ground? You should thank them for making it clear early on that you all will have to sue some agency to get this fixed.

You also notice that they are framing this as
they are the parents and
you are the unruly children.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=shaming+behavior&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

My mortgage company also acts provocatively.
They want you to act out of anger so they will have something on you. Right now they don't.

Look up some of their scandals and then you can take back the high moral ground.

If they've been sued for misconduct or incompetence it must be in the public record. Does 'Katrina' sound familiar?
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q="v.+fema"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
And if some agency did any civil engineering work in the area they might have 'enabled' this to happen, in other words, this event was 'reasonably foreseeable'.

BTW, if you can supply the shape and the dims of this mess I can probably tell you cubic yards. Eight hours x 250 people = 2000 person-hours of labor. In my area it costs three cents per pound to dispose of fill dirt.

Last edited:
Luckily no-one here was swept away. It was pretty slow moving and eventually they claim we will have a catastophic fail. Now we have to fight the greenies (who want us to abandon our homes that AREN'T in danger but they may be "poisioning the river" even though it's not a new community)

I think only 1 person is still missing at Oso.

They are telling us (250 people) to pick up an leave and forget we were ever there. Try telling that to the bank that loaned us money to buy. My wife and I put our life savings into building there to retire.

I guess you could sue but that's risky and FEMA might have the court records sealed for cases that went against them so it will be hard to get a history for this type thing.

It'd be useful to find out what people did in similar situations in the past but how would this even be researched? Civil engineering journals might have examples of successful outcomes and you might look for a journal that publishes cases of the Army Corps of Engineers.

How much to clear this mess?
By what method?
How much for a new road?
How much is that per head?

"class n. in legal (not sociological) terms, all those persons in the same category, level of rights (e.g. heirs of dead person who are related by the same degree), or who have suffered from the same incident. Whether a person is part of a class is often crucial in determining who can sue on behalf of the people who have been similarly damaged or collect his/her share if a class action judgment is given. (See: class action)"

Also, if there is a law library nearby you could look up caselaw for this type of thing.

Try http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/
They helped me once on an employment law issue.

If you get bids you are 100% sure of paying that price. If you sue you are maybe 50% sure of paying some big bucks and it may last for years so the expected cost or 'expected value' of a lawsuit is difficult to calculate.

It'd be good if you could get this situation into the papers or on TV.

And I thought I had troubles. :(

Last edited:
Back