Progess on my garage un-conversion

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i bought my 1st home a month ago, and the garage had been enclosed back in the 70's or so. obviously, that had to go. the total area is 19x26, and they had the front 6' made into a weird sort of storage room. the rest was a big room with 2 huge closets and the washer/dryer area all on the back wall.

this is what i started with:

storagelg0.jpg

oldgaragecp2.jpg

and this is what i've done so far:

40985672wi1.jpg

44058815di1.jpg

the interior wall is gone, the doorway sealed up and about 1/3 of the floor is out but i need to move a gas line before i can pull the rest of it up. then i need to tear out both closets, move the washer/dryer connections to the corner and build a closet around it, reinforce the area over the header a little bit, tear out the sliding doors and frame up the opening for the garage door. then i'll probably have to rent some sort of concrete polisher to get all the old adhesive off the vinyl tile they had underneath everything. lots of drywall work to blend everything back in. run some wiring for the opener and unhook the a/c vent before i forget about it. then i get to take out the nasty carport so i can actually get my truck inside the garage, run a cold water line for a faucet at the driveway, etc. lots of work, but i'm having a blast doing it.

Well you got your hands full but " ISN'T IT FUN THOUGH". I love projects like your where you get to take a old tired looking project back to life with a new look. You got a good start on it and keep us posted with pics.

Looks like fun, Always nice to have a garage to park/work on the car.

I too like to open a can O' worms now and then.
Good luck and let us know if we can help.

From here of course.

Back