Favorite/Least Favorite tools?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirTrader

Reaction score
What's everybody's favorite tool? What makes your heart pound?

What turned into a huge disappointment?

For me, my favorite tool, after many years, is a Makita Framing saw... that thing has cut a lot of stuff, and I still love it every time I pick it up.

Biggest dissapointment for me has been my lathe, because it makes such a ridiculous amount of mess, and I have to wear a mask to use it, which cuts the enjoyment quite a bit for me. I love turning, but it's just such a pain...

Also, I'm anti- DeWalt, simply because I have 3 DeWalt tools, and they all blow air right in my face. None of my other tools do it. Fussy? :)

Craftsman has been disappointing me as of late. The quality in their tools is awful. Bought a brand new drill and after only a couple times the motor burnt out. Nothing stressful just a bad motor. Then was at a friends and his new Craftsman skill saw's motor burnt out as well.

Agreed... Crafstman has really gone from almost top-of-the-line to almost bottom-of-the-barrel. The "Home Handyman" dominates the market, I guess, which is to say that Sears is happy to sell a hundred thousand crappy tools instead of one thousand really good ones. DeWalt spans that gap, being kind of for professionals, and kind of for wanna-bes. Then I'd say Makita, porter cable, Milwaukee, maybe Hitachi... are pretty good, and then above that are the super-tools - Fein, Bosch, Metabo, etc, out of Europe. But they cost silly money, and if you run over them with the van.... :eek:

I own a mix, like most people, I suppose - DeWalt has been a tremendous disappointment, and I won't even bother any more with Craftsman - I have a brother-in-law who gets me Milwaukee at a reasonable price, so I have been building my collection of those and I like them.

The thing I'm most impressed with is Milwaukee's support. You can email them, and ... they respond!! It's amazing.

I just got a Ryobi stand for my compound miter saw. What a backsaver! I should have bought one of these years ago! I also just bought Bostitch framing and roofing nail guns. They seem like great quality tools, though I admit I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

I have a tool trailer full of almost every major brand tool----Milwaukee(Sawzall, screwshooter), PC(nailers,compressor,table saw, sanders, router), Makita(belt sander), DeWalt(CMS, jig saw, cordless drills), Bosch(corded drills, hand jointer, rotary tool), Rigid(shop vac), Skil(Mag77), and a Harbor Freight 4&1/2" grinder.

Shop has a Rigid table saw, Delta 2 spd planer, old 12" Shopmaster band saw, DeWalt biscuit joiner, Craftsman mini biscuit joiner, Rigid OSS, HF benchtop drill press, name missing cause it is so old 20 gal compressor, PC router in a home made table---and more but I forget.

Like all of them cause some of those mentioned replaced the original Ryobi TS,router, recip. saw, and sanders I initially bought and had break or burn up. :mad:

Oh, yeah, I have one of the rare Craftsman self adjusting routers. :rolleyes:

by far my most favourite tool has to be my dewalt 12" mitresaw.i have been using it for 5 yrs now with no problems . :D

john8.jpg

You guys may hate me......
My favorites
Gerber Scientific Sabre 404 CNC router (my baby)
Powermatic 5 horse 3 phase left tilt table saw
Powermatic 20" planer
Powermatic 24" double drum sander
That's just the cool stuff
One of my olde tyme favorites is
my wife's grandfathers draw knife, razor sharp and used with care
when we have to build a hand hewn timber mantel.

I like all of my tools. I use my Dewalt 705s mitersaw as much as any tool I have. I like my Smart Tool 24" level. And I like this OLD Stanley #5C Jack plane. I bought it on E-bay a while back. It's spray-painted black, but that doesn't hurt the performance at all. My Starrett ProSite Protractor has me pretty excited right now. I'll try to list a review of something different every week. I'll include pictures as often as I can.

1793870Nd620013.jpg

Tom in KY, Plane old carpenter.

O.K. I found a tool that I literally hate. It's a shingle eater. It looks like a shovel but the cutting edge has a pattern cut in it to catch nails and there's a heel on the back to provide a fulcrum for the leverage required to pull the nails. My experience has been not so good. It works best across the roof in a horizontal run. The heel makes it hard to get a good hard slam behind it when your above it and working downward, but it's still too low for when you're below and working upward.

I've used one for years, I just block it out. Just say no,,ya'know? I think everybody finds something that they can't stand. There's mine.

Tom in KY, seriously, just say no. Block it out, clean thoughts, breathe,,

My Makita 10" slide compound Mitre saw is my favorite next to my PC routers.I have some king(never again).What has completely surprised my was I was in need of a Hammer drill but did not have the bucks for a high end one so instead of renting I bought a Mastercraft. Well after around 50 concrete ancors, a number of rebars and numours days of regular drilling its still going strong.Not bad for 79.00. Would of cost be twice that to have rented for the amount of time I needed it.

I have become increasingly dissapointed with Ridgid. I bought a Ridgid tool combo 18v X2, was supposed to be the best for the buck. Nope. My 8yr old DeWalt 18v has more power and twice the run time on a charge then this new "high tech" tool.

I love my new Makita 18v Lithium Ion kit... I swear the battery lasts forever.

...and for the ugly... my old, ratty, beat up 12v Dewalt pistol drill. so old it has a metal case. I wouldnt trade it for anthing.

After working with my Dad for several years I went into the construction business in 1961. I have never had any good results with Craftsman tools; their so-called "lifetime warranty" has never worked for me and I have taken several tools back to them just to hear them laugh at me. I must say the best tools I have ever used are Sthill. They are durable and powered to match the job. I've had some Ridgid tools that are impeccable, Milwaukee are pretty good and a Makita recriprocating saw that has been around forever and taken a lot of abuse; just luck, I wouldn't buy another.

bought my first DeWalt last year - cordless 14.4 drill. Must say it's a big disappointment. Impossible to drill good pilot holes as chuck wobbles. I'm on my 4th chuck and service tech now says if I want to drill straight holes I should use a drill press. Really? I just dug out my 10-yr old corded B&D drill and it works just fine. Oh, and the torque settings don't really work on the low speed setting. :(

glennjanie, it is a common mistake that people make, but Craftsman power tools have never had a lifetime warranty. It is only their hand tools that have the lifetime warranty and it’s not every one of them either. They tend to only warranty the ones with few moving parts for obvious reasons. I agree that their power tools are not as reliable as the higher end tools, but they are often not as expensive and except for their Pro line, are not meant to be used commercially.

I think, however, that their hand tools are a great value. They have many different types available and usually work well assuming they are used for the purpose in which they were designed. The ones that I have managed to break and that fall under the warranty are always replaced when I trade them in. This is of course assuming that they are in stock which is a whole other issue. And the prices are great compared to other lifetime warranted tools (Snap-On, MATCO, etc.) You also don’t have to send them to the manufacture like you often do with Husky and Stanly.

Favorite? Tie between my Ridgid tablesaw and planer. Have had them for several years now without a hint of a problem.I don't have anything I hate. OK, now to get slammed by everyone here. About a year and a half ago I bought the Ryobi 8pc 18v tool set and absolutely love it. It is not a pro grade set but for around the house repairs and my wood working hobby they all do a great job. Also almost 3 years ago I bought a Harbor Freight 10" sliding compound miter saw for $99 with free shipping. plus I got one of the miter saw stands for $49 with no shipping at the same time. They are both great tools. I do not even try to use these for woodworking, but for rough framing, porches and decks they just can't be beat.:D

well the tool that i have that i love the most has got to be hands down my 30+ year old porter cable 315 skil saw i love this tool more than my wife(hope she doesnt read this)the tool that i dislike the most has got to be my 60' ladder it weighs a ton you really should have 3 people to set it up and when you are in the middle ever step you take makes it feel like you you are swaying 4-5 feet(i know it less then a foot though)but i really hate every thing about this tool

OSC, trade that sucker in on 3 20' ladders. A lot easier to handle. LOL

PaPaDan said:
OSC, trade that sucker in on 3 20' ladders. A lot easier to handle. LOL
but i love so much lol :eek: ...................................... not!!:D

Back