Flooring footage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yarddog2911

Reaction score
I just joined this forum, & put this app on my phone. Not too sound to stupid, how do you measure your square footage on your floor to have rug, tile, or wood flooring installed. I've always paid to have it installed, might tackle wood flooring in kitchen myself.ive heard that you measure the width & length , & multiplie it. But if there is cabinets on floor, you just use the widest width & length without cabinets? Please help confused!

length X Width. A room 10' x 13' would be 130 sq. feet. If you want how many yards, divide the sq. foot by 9, So that 130 sq. foot room would need 14.4 sq. yards. paul

But if it's carpet with seams, it's a whole other deal.

samfloor said:
But if it's carpet with seams, it's a whole other deal.

Ok thanks Sam , anyone know of any good floor company's in Stockton , calif. now my wife wants new carpet too, I think I'm over my head now . Probley just have someone do both carpet & wood flooring.

And be prepared for the carpet guy's estimate to be a significantly higher number than the yardage you've computed. Their numbers are always based on the yardage of carpet delivered, based on the roll width and cut length. Anything wider than what your room(s) need is waste and discarded--but you still pay for it.

To be fair, the main reason it takes more carpet, is that it all has to run the same direction and it takes more for seams. You also need to allow 3" on each cut to allow for rooms being out of square and most are not square. It can take 10-20% more than simple sq yds. And yes an installer will charge for all that he handles. He has to carry it in, figure out the best layout and trim any excess.

Back