Cracks along edges.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbra

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently purchased a rehabbed home, and would like some suggestions on how to repair some cracks along the edges of the garage and concrete patio.

I'm not sure what to fill the gaps in with, as I have been told to use anything from sand, dirt, and "Good Stuff" gap filler. Does anyone have any experience with this type of issue, or have any insight on the best route to take?

Thanks in Advanced

20150407_150313.jpg

WHY are the cracks happening is more important. That threshold bothers me a lot. Settling? Slab crack? Investigate that issue first.

slab-crack.jpg

Looks reasonable to me. Side walk poured on uncompacted soil, threashold with nothing under it, contact between the side walk and end of threashold was stronger than the concrete itself.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hcx17cQU9Y[/ame]
And welcome to the site

I've used that grey concrete filler a few times and my opinion, it is about as unsightly as it could be. I then sprinkled some similar concrete colored sand onto the wet filler, which made it look alot less noticeable.

unsure why anyone uses sand to support backer rod as the normal rod installation depends on using oversize rod @ proper depth rqd for sealant - typically no more than 3/8" for most mtls,,, unfortunately the apron/vest stores only carry limited supply of rod sizes ( 1 ) so look for a conc repair supply store instead,,, you'll also find they will have tested tips & advice whereas, generally, apron/vest wearers are just sales clerks who point you to the correct aisles :)

ps - there's only 1 crk - the other's an open jnt

WHY are the cracks happening is more important. That threshold bothers me a lot. Settling? Slab crack? Investigate that issue first.

I had foundation guy come out and he told me that settling is normal in this area especially since the droughts we've had the past 2 summers. He suggested I fill the cracks but didn't offer any advice as to how, other than using crack sealer, which would cover the hole but not fill the void. Thanks for the reply

Looks reasonable to me. Side walk poured on uncompacted soil, threashold with nothing under it, contact between the side walk and end of threashold was stronger than the concrete itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hcx17cQU9Y
And welcome to the site

I think I'll give this a try. After reviewing the issue with a foundation repair guy and a structural engineer (waste of $250). All concluded to fill the crack and use the wait and see approach due to the droughts we've had the past 2 summers. Thanks for the video, I'm visual learner LOL

You do want to stop the water if you live where there is frost, that would move it every year, constantly making it worse.

would've been a LOT MORE HELP IF the op'd listed his 'where', no ? btw, there's SUPPOSED to be a joint as shown,,, the crack should be monitored ( as you heard both from your paid consultant & the forum responders ) BUT it should also be sealed ( frost or not ) to prevent damage from water intrusion :D

from a 2nd look, no evidence of isolation jnt mts so the conc guys made extra $$ OR followed specs,,, point loading probably caused the crk !

Last edited:
point loading is the expansion of conc due to high temps causing the conc to expand in size ( high skoul fizix ),,, w/o isolation jnt mtl, 2 parts of conc will meet @ some point,,, when this happens, the weaker conc will crack or spall,,, isolation jnt mtl prevents this

point loading is the expansion of conc due to high temps causing the conc to expand in size ( high skoul fizix ),,, w/o isolation jnt mtl, 2 parts of conc will meet @ some point,,, when this happens, the weaker conc will crack or spall,,, isolation jnt mtl prevents this

I see you spreken ze doitch?

Fair enough, when I here point loads I think loads from above. Thanx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hcx17cQU9Y
And welcome to the site

Here are the results. I still need to account for the void on the right of the door gap since that part of the void is so uneven. I plan on pulling some trim tape in front of lower end of the slope to hold the poly in place long enough to set.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

DoorGap.jpg

SideGap.jpg

Latest posts

Back