Interior design/decorating-How do i get into this field?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonysimpson

Reaction score
I have just finished my gap year, and I am interested in interior decorating/design. I know what my skills are, and what i am capable of etc, but I don't know how exactly to get into this particular field, The tafe courses in my areas are irrelevant, and university websites are actually quite unhelpful.
Its not a common job i guess, so this might be difficult.Im feeling a bit stuck!

If anyone knows anyone who is in this profession, ask them how they got there for me!

Hi there,

Interior Designing is a vast field very few people know this. First you have to decide in which designing course you want to get in. There are two kind of course in designing viz diploma and certification. Now, you decide what you want to do?

Do you have an art school near by? This is where my friend got started.

I learned that if you like what you are doing you will be great at it. It has to start with some kind of passion. You can't ( like someone did in a different field :) ) just go into a profession because lots of people are making good money there. It will catch up with you.
If it's your calling you will learn a lot by reading, offering free consulting to friends and yes, take courses.

The smaller the room, the more concerned you should be about using the available space efficiently. People who favor a Spartan décor have a distinct advantage over those with luxurious tastes - the less stuff you have, the easier it is to accommodate

Back