Floor to Ceiling Windows leaking problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfphoto

Reaction score
Hello, my question is, 4 water leaks from 12 potential windows 10x15' approx. what is the correct method to seal a large window like this? I think the flashing is the main issue since she has a new membrane roof but what distance should flashing extend on a window that large?

My friend lives in New Haven CT. she owns a custom built 1980's architect built home with semi commercial building features

Her issue, is the sliding aluminum windows which are about 10' tall south facing and about 15' wide panels that slide open. (Patio doors) They are a commercial window and the company is in business but this model is discontinued. She is seeing a lot of water damage on the 2nd floor near the floor and then on the 1st floor in the ceiling along the south wall. Not all of it but 4 spots.

Thank you, David

It sounds as though the door sil is leaking and because these are commercial installations, she will be better served in employing a commercial door co for the repair.

Hi you think a door vs a window company?

These are windows, we may think of them as doors but they are windows.
If they are commercial style, there will be a lot of buildings that still use them so you should be able to find some one that knows all about them.
It sounds like they will need to be pulled maybe some repairs to the framing and re installed and as suggested, this will be a spot for the pros.

She was going through the mfc for assistance they said to use a commercial window co. I wonder though... Sill? will take a look

You say windows, as well as "patio doors", and if in fact they are commercial products, then by all means, find a commercial vendor.

There are few, if any, commercial door and window vendors who, as a business model, will segregate.

I know it needs to be a pro crew I was not trying to say I would try it, no way and I know it's a real window not a patio door but I meant the way it works and looks to be built.

The problem is, no commercial guys want to work on it because it's a house in the woods and it's a real pain meaning on a hill side not a lot of room its a rock path (cemented in but not flat) The contractors want to charge a full crew price too its mind boggling the numbers.... Even with the $$$ it's the quality of the repairs I'm worried about. I wish someone who did this work could tell me what they should be doing so we could know they were doing it.

Without taking it apart, there is no way to tell what repairs are necessary.

Do you have access to the original permitted plans, the date the architect allowed the dwelling to be occupied?

Can you obtain photos from the inside and outside of the glazed unit that is leaking?

You may be able to narrow down the area by spraying with a garden hose, but if you can't open up the area to confirm, you may still be at the mercy of the repair company.

Back