Bi-fold doors in laundry room?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfonsocp

Reaction score
We are thinking in making a wardrobe/very-wide-tall-cabinet for storage in our laundry room. The space had a freestanding refrigerator and a deep freezer from the previous owners. It is 61in wide, 83in tall, 24in deep. There is a wall on one side and laundry cabinets on the other side (base and wall cabinets). We wanted to store big items in there, so we thought two bi-fold doors would be more convenient than sliding doors. However I am concerned about the weight of the bi-fold doors...

My first thought was to put a melamine panel on each side. One against the side of the cabinets (srewing it to the base and wall cabinets) and the other against the wall (drywall). Maybe drilling long screws to get to the stud. Would need something stronger (a stud?) for the top since the space is so wide so that I can safely attach the top railing from the bi-fold doors. So those two vertical panels plus the top would be my kind of door jamb for the bi-fold doors... Still I am not 100% sure this would do it? What do you think? I am specially concerned about the top corner against the laundry cabinets, as the wall cabinets only provide partial support (they are not 24in deep...). The room as drop ceiling, so not easy to get to the joists for extra support...

Thank you in advance!!

Bifold doors pivot from fixed points, at the end header and at the floor directly below, with the top track simply a guide to keep them from flapping in the breeze, so if your header is, as you say, at 83", then the melamine panel would describe the end of the enclosure.

If there is nothing above, for the top 2x4 to nail to. Draw the lines on the ceiling where it will go, then cut a couple holes, stay inside the lines then you can slip a couple blocks above the drywall and screw them in place.
Now you have something to screw to.
The finished height will be 81 inches or there abouts so install the 2x4 and wrap it with your malamine
Now you can nail or screw your gables to that to hole the top corners in place.
The bottom hard wear screws to the gable and the floor so that will help hold it in place.
The width will be a little shy of the 60 inches you want, You should be able to remove a little off the two doors where they meet and make that work.

If you wrap the top 2x4 extend the front down an extra 1/2" that will hide the track.

Thank you nealtw! That makes sense. There is a drop ceiling (not drywall) so will remove it and then try to put it back once the wardrobe structure is in place and screwed in.

Back