Best material for filling gaps and cracks in siding?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Older stucco didn't seem to have a problem. It's the stuff they have been using in the last 30 years, maybe because houses are tighter on the inside. We never see new stucco up here anymore. They have been a real big problem.

The video originates in Washington state, however, until those practices are adopted by a building code, they are simply practices sold by that co.

About 2/3rds are not common practices in the application of stucco and while your last 2 dwellings did not have a weepscreed, it has to do with the age of them.

Stucco, as in many of the code applications, have undergone an evolutionary process.

The video originates in Washington state, however, until those practices are adopted by a building code, they are simply practices sold by that co.

About 2/3rds are not common practices in the application of stucco and while your last 2 dwellings did not have a weepscreed, it has to do with the age of them.

Stucco, as in many of the code applications, have undergone an evolutionary process.

That is just one method but I think rainscreening has been adopted in a lot of areas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainscreen

That may be one of a number of products and systems marketed, in some specific areas, however, unless "jurisdictionally", if a practice or system is not adopted, it's just a marketing tool, untested and uncertified.

Like I said, 'jurisdictional", and certainly, far from universal.

I have lived and painted clapboard siding my whole life. It has lived on your place for 100 years and it is supposed to look old and worn out. The fact that it has lasted that long is because air gets to the back side and keeps the wood in a constant state. We have places around here 100 years old that never even had paint on them. They look bad but they keep the weather out.

I use painters caulk on cracks on the faces and the joints at the ends. Pressure wash it good let it dry really good then scrape it and then with a sharpened putty knife shave the blunt edges down. Almost no one does that and it takes time but that is what the old timers taught me. Then prime and paint. I used to always use an oil primer and a latex top coats. That may be different now.

It is a lot of work and has to be done quite often. The old place we have now has 3 layers of siding on it and the bottom layer is the old wood stuff. The last layer was ½ inch fanfold insulation taped and then vinyl siding. It was done when we bought the place and I’m glad it was. I added a door and a few windows and when I went thru all the layers it didn’t seem like the last layer sealing up the other two was causing any problems.

I know time wise it would be just as quick to put vinyl on it.

Stopped by my local box store and polyseamseal was on clearance for .95 cents a tube. I bought a couple cases.

Never, ever caulk the gaps under that siding

:agree: I would not caulk the bottom edge of the overlap.
I would caulk all the vertical seams, cracks and splits in boards.
I would scrap all the old caulk from where the boards overlap.
Moister that does get under the overlap is trapped if you caulk it and that will cause rot.

The wall are usually wrapped with a moisture barrier. Typically tar paper.
Just like a roof with shingles.

From what I heard about stucco. The stucco breaths on it's own. That is if you don't paint over it. I've heard that you shouldn't paint over it, but Plenty of people do.
Here in South Calif not a big issue because it's naturally dry here.

You can see how the previous caulk job failed along the lap joints.
The wood expands and contracts.

It would take quite a bit of bondo, caulk, and paint to get that waterproofed and quite a bit of work to boot. if you can do vinyl siding yourself (which about anyone can do), I'd be tempted to pull it all off and replace it with that. I think I spent about $3k for materials to reside our house. it's not rocket science. there are plenty of youtube videos showing you how to do it.

I would like to reside it but will have to do it down the road. It needs some foundation work as well. I have a renter that wants to move in asap. We are putting a new roof on it this week and will probably paint it and call it good for a couple years, then when the renter moves out I'll do a big job to it.

Latest posts

Back