How to correctly fix floor joist from previous owner

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmccullach

Reaction score
So, i decided to remove the previous owners shoddy stairs and doorway into a room off the stairwell amd discovered that they had cut right through 3 2x6s that support the house. What would be the best way to tackle this huge mishap?

None of that is important What they did to support the studs and what ever is above, is.
What would you expect to see supporting all that with what they removed? From what I saw in the room, there's no witness cracks in the paint/drywall that show any sagging issues. Right under that flooring is a bathroom and from roughly 3ft off that left wall there about a 1/2 inch dip in the floor towards the wall, but I'm not sure that would've been caused by what they removed.

What would you expect to see supporting all that with what they removed? From what I saw in the room, there's no witness cracks in the paint/drywall that show any sagging issues. Right under that flooring is a bathroom and from roughly 3ft off that left wall there about a 1/2 inch dip in the floor towards the wall, but I'm not sure that would've been caused by what they removed.

We can not see what is holding the floor where it has been cut back. but what ever isn't there can be fixed.
The cut wall is a bearing wall, some are more important than others but above this opening there should be a header made out of 2 or more 2x? on edge being held up by at least one stud on each side. The size of that header would be designated by the load from above., another floor or roof or both.
More weight to worry about if the ceiling joists and rafters are landing on this wall.

The Cut out where there 3 2x6s on edge looks really serious but only the inside one is doing all the work. The other two are there to make the building bigger because the foundation was made 3" to small. So they just added 2 more to make the building bigger.

Bin there, done that. :nono:

Latest posts

Back