What type of spray gun I should buy to use with air compressor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikasintl

Reaction score
I am looking at harbor freight website to buy a spray gun to paint exterior on shed in backyard.

the paint is latex .....

I have a hausfed brand 2 hp air compressor which has 2 tanks..

Am not sure if I should buy hvlp gun or lvlp gun or what?

Please advice?

also I have lots interior paint...can I use it outside like 5 layers or more?
or I must have exterior paint?

Personally, I don't like using spray guns for exterior applicaitons. You will have to back roll the sprayed application so you might as well roll the paint on. You will get what you pay for from HF. Spray guns on the interior are not that suitable unless for new construction or you will spend days wiping up overspray and/or mist dust. Spray guns are useful when you do alot of painting but, as mentioned they have limited usefulness.

vikasintl said:
I am looking at harbor freight website to buy a spray gun to paint exterior on shed in backyard.

the paint is latex .....

I have a hausfed brand 2 hp air compressor which has 2 tanks.Hey. just saying hey. Trying to figure out how to post my own question on this App. It worked better as a website for me. Eek as for topic watch out for that wind as using any air compressor not a brush or roller you need a calm breezeless day to keep it applying evenly?? Just guessing. How can I post my ? Still lookin

rearranger6; at the top of this page ,click on forums. Click on the forum of choice and see a button ( new thread)

Forums current ,messages, subscribed and mail are tbe options. Above the words thread and forum is nothing. My App is bad I guess. Browser version not app works and see new thread button t5here. Thx and good luck

I'm surprized no one jumped all over you for even mentioning HF. Personally i like them and have never been really disappointed, as long as i realize their motto should be "Where the customer is quality control." They truly do not argue about the 90 day money back guarantee, as long as you have receipt and the trip to return or exchange item is not too long or out of way. I am leery of their battery powered tools, tho haven't bought any.

Others have said that rolling and brushing is going to be faster and easier than spraying. And that is true. Masking and taping off, then cleaning sprayer is most tedious part of spraying, as well as masking off yourself, hair, face, eyes etc. And even gentle breeze will carry overspray to neighbors house and cars.

Compare pressure and cubic fet per minute, CFM, needed by sprayer to what your compressor puts out, specifically CFM at needed pressure. Also size of paint pot, most are only quart or less. Some will feed from larger container with hose. HVLP would probably be best, you'll be closer to surface, less overspray to get blown.
Make sure sprayer comes with some kind of viscosity device to make sure paint is thinned enough to spray.

Have you considered airless sprayer? Buying or renting.

Latest posts

Back