Refacing luan doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the first choice is to skim and paint. Cheap and (i hope) easy. If I like the look and the process, I will do the other doors.
Snoon: still curious about the door skins. Let me know your experience with them.

I have used automotive bondo / filled polyester resin and the mixes with glass in them dura-glas and tiger hair and fiberglass cloth and matt with pure resin and all combinations there of to fix everything you can think of. The car stuff is cheaper than the wood fillers and works just as well IMO. I repaired a Folbot once using mesh drywall tape and polyester resin.

Wow, my search did not come anywhere near that item. Possibly because I searched phenolic and these are listed as natural wood. Minimum quantity aside (heh, heh) do you have any experience with this product, or similar? I'm not sure what quality to expect, with an explanation like; "The dimension is flexibly available and customerized." Just makes me a little nervous

When I was refacing doors for Hughes and Raytheon I would by them from a CO. in OCCA.

Various sizes means you can order them for "book" doors or custom.

I used formica adhesive and a formica roller.

Did anyone elect to avail themselves of the "chat" option and ask about small quantities or if they have an established vendor here?

Last edited:
Just not worth the time, effort, money to try and fix them.
New prehung MDF raised panel doors would look far better and be cheaper.

So finally coming back around to this project. i went to the local Auto-Zone today to see if Bondo was any cheaper than the similar types of filler at HD etc. Not much diff in price, but what really confused me was the variety of Bondo fillers available. Following up on Bud's advice, I was trying to get something that went on smooth and easy - a little more buttery than the standard orig Bondo. Any suggestions or cautions?

Home desperado, generally, has 2 bondo formulas available, 1 designed for wood and homeowner repairs, and the traditional. Both mix with a hardener so the "creamy" consistency is derived from the mix, not the product.

So finally coming back around to this project. i went to the local Auto-Zone today to see if Bondo was any cheaper than the similar types of filler at HD etc. Not much diff in price, but what really confused me was the variety of Bondo fillers available. Following up on Bud's advice, I was trying to get something that went on smooth and easy - a little more buttery than the standard orig Bondo. Any suggestions or cautions?

Try thinning it with fiberglass resin. That’s the clear stuff that you mix up with hardener and then paint it onto fiberglass cloth or matt. Most people don’t know that the two are the same chemistry bondo just has a filler in it to make it thicker. Before you go at the doors experiment a little to see how creamy you like it and how it sands after. Adding the resin makes it a little tougher once cured so it will sand harder. Also when it is thinned it goes a lot farther. The best thing I have found to spread it is the one use plastic gas cards. When I buy my gas there are always a bunch on top the pumps. I toss them in a coffee can and toss them after one use.

Try thinning it with fiberglass resin. That’s the clear stuff that you mix up with hardener and then paint it onto fiberglass cloth or matt. Most people don’t know that the two are the same chemistry bondo just has a filler in it to make it thicker. Before you go at the doors experiment a little to see how creamy you like it and how it sands after. Adding the resin makes it a little tougher once cured so it will sand harder. Also when it is thinned it goes a lot farther. The best thing I have found to spread it is the one use plastic gas cards. When I buy my gas there are always a bunch on top the pumps. I toss them in a coffee can and toss them after one use.
Do you add extra hardener to make that mix work?

It might take a bit extra. Adding more or less hardener will change the curing time mostly. Once the mix kicks and starts to heat it should eventually cure. It is a time and temp thing as well. Experimenting just a little with just a little extra hardener and you will come on the amount that suits you best.

Have you had a chance to try the mix yet?

Back