milwaukee cordless

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asbestos

Good with caulk
Reaction score
Well after about a year I have to say this drill is a bit disapointing. I suppose I should expect to get what I pay for. But now I have one battery DOA and one that is so-so
So what do I do? one the one hand I don't want to pop $50+ each for 2 batts.
But I don't want to have an orphaned drill.
But again, That Makita Li-ion is looking sweet. And a friend is saying Festool Festool. . . . Festool. . . . . . . :confused:

Hi Asbestos:
I bought several Milwaukee tools for my Plumbing class and its sad to say they were a disappointment too. I had told the class to buy good tools like them and expect them to last a lifetime but several of the tools died after a little over a year. The biggest trouble we had was in the switches, especially the variable speed ones. Our Milwaukee Super Sawzall would not hold a blade in the Quick Change Chuck after about 6 months.
Glenn

Asbestos: Every manufacturer gets a few hiccups in their production line now and then. Milwaukee produces excellent professional tools on the whole. Contact them directly and tell them ablout your problem, I'm certain they will help you.
Graham McCulloch
http://www.shortcuts.ns.ca

Mlwaukee tools with a cord..Nothing tougher.
Milwaukee cordless...I wish I could say the same.
Their new Lithium Ion line up looks promising, but due to their cordless history.. I may have to be convinced.
I'm hoping that they get it together.
Milwaukee is a good company as a whole just as Graham says.

A while ago Consumer Reports did a review of some cordless tools including the 24 (or was it 28) volt cordless they said the drill got so hot right off the bat it smoked.
I forgot to mention they are owned by Ryobi

the USA "hey, we used to make good tools"

Milwaukee now has 18v Lithium-ion battery packs that are reverse compatible. That means that if you have any 18v cordless tools that used NiCad battery packs that are dying or have died, the new Li-ion packs will fit them. You may need a new charger as well.

Graham
http://www.shortcuts.ns.ca

I have a kit with milwaukee cordless tools, and I must say, that I am very happy with the tools themselves, I have remodeled a few houses with them where there was no electricity for a long time, and had to take the batteries with me and charge them over night, but the batteries are horrible. I've gone through a lot of them, and it gets too expensive to the point where it is not giving the tools a chance to pay for themselves.

Let me know what model your drill is and I will see what kind of batteries are available in the warehouse. I'll see what I can hook up for ya :)

When in doubt, take the old switch apart. With an old 7.2 volt I found copper and aluminium in contact with each other in the switch. This will never last, and it was not the same brand, but who knows where they buy there swiches.

Years ago I had all Dewalt tools, all of them failed. The batterys never lasted more then a year, triggers were always going bad, one hammer drill burned up the first day just drilling 3/8 holes in morter, and the prices for parts and batterys is just to high.
I started buying Ryobi tools at less then 1/2 the price and have had only one sawsall fail after being dropped off of a 40 ft. ladder, one battery went bad and one impact gun needed a new trigger. That's out of 15 tools with at least 15 years of use every day by a crew of real tool abusers.
I can buy two new batterys for less then the cost of one from the other companys.

Years ago I had all Dewalt tools, all of them failed. The batterys never lasted more then a year, triggers were always going bad, one hammer drill burned up the first day just drilling 3/8 holes in morter, and the prices for parts and batterys is just to high.
I started buying Ryobi tools at less then 1/2 the price and have had only one sawsall fail after being dropped off of a 40 ft. ladder, one battery went bad and one impact gun needed a new trigger. That's out of 15 tools with at least 15 years of use every day by a crew of real tool abusers.
I can buy two new batterys for less then the cost of one from the other companys.

I've had good luck with all my DeWALT tools.

On the other hand, a plumber friend of mine will use nothing but Ryobi cordless VSR drills. He beats the heck out of the things every day. They stand up pretty well, and when they're shot they're not too expensive to replace.

Go figure.

Back