Roofing dilemma

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinosa

Reaction score
I just had an inspection of the house I'm trying to buy and because it rained the day before the inspection, the inspector noted three leaks (two were over the house and the third was where the patio roof meets the house). He also estimated that the roof had between 2-5 years left on it. The south side of the roof is much worse than the north side.

My inclination is to replace the roof now rather than later. I anticipate some negotiation with the seller in regards to costs and/or house price reduction since there will be some repair needed due to the leaks.

I'm not exactly sure how I want to proceed so I'm just looking for general thoughts on whether I should try to repair the leaks now and try to get a couple more years out of it or just put a new in roof now. How much of the cost should I expect the current owner to absorb now considering the shape it's currently in. Should I be concerned about mold. How easy is it to find the source of the leak? And, anything else you can think of.

Thanks in advance.

I would have your realtor talk with the seller just to get a idea where he's coming from on this point.Quite offten the seller is quite happy to reduce but sometimes not, then go from there.

Welcome SPinosa:
Stripping and re-shingling the roof could be a contingency in your contract with the seller. We are in a buyer's market now and sellers will do most anything to unload property. You're looking at approximately $200 per square (a square is 10' X 10' or 3 bundles of shingles) and sometimes you have to add the disposal to that. Let the seller worry about it.
Glenn

I think $500. per square will be closer to the mark. I never charge less than $600, and often more.

Thanks for the input. It may be a buyer's market but my seller isn't desperate since he lived there for 40 years and has no mortgage. Other than the roof issue the house is in fantastic shape.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should have a mold inspection because of the leaks. The inspector didn't see any sign of mold and the house (which is empty) is complete odor free. Some of what I've read suggests the whole mold issue is overblown.

Thanks again.

Back