Stucco

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcnerd

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having a room addition and we are at stucco phase. The room addition is on a slab. The surrounding (walkway) will be removed and lowered a little. Do I expect the stucco guy to put stucco below the drain piece (weep drain)? I am assuming yes or else I will see portion on the side bottom (footing) bare.

Bottom plate sill is treated wood and the weep drain outside looks to be sitting on top of the slab so I really need to make sure my new walkway has to be lowered. Currently the backside side of the room is almost the same height.

stucco.jpg

Last edited:
No you see a little concrete below the stucco, the foundation needs to breath as it wicks water up from the ground and it need to have a clear space to disperse the moisture to the air.

No you see a little concrete below the stucco, the foundation needs to breath as it wicks water up from the ground and it need to have a clear space to disperse the moisture to the air.

Got it. How should I cover the trim piece of the french door (nail on) for the bottom if stucco doesn't hide it.

The trim piece has 4 sides including the bottom (its about 1" inch). I take pic for better reference.

They put a second coat (brown coat) yesterday. Do I need to spray water on the wall today? Its over 100 degrees today.

Talk to your stucco guy, anything you do that they don't recommend can void any workmanship warranty and your ability to recoup loss in the event of product failure.

Since I just had stucco installed 2 weeks ago, I was advised after the brown coat, mist the walls at least twice a day for the next 3 days. The slower it bakes on, the stronger it will become, and less cracks will form.

Since I just had stucco installed 2 weeks ago, I was advised after the brown coat, mist the walls at least twice a day for the next 3 days. The slower it bakes on, the stronger it will become, and less cracks will form.

Back to the original question from the post.

Last edited:
So, this is a vinyl frame more like a window? And is the stucco right up against the sides or do you have trim?

So, this is a vinyl frame more like a window? And is the stucco right up against the sides or do you have trim?

Vinyl french door. The sides and top are covered by stucco. It is a nail on french door.

I havn't had to install one like that but is just like a sliding patio door which is actually a window. We always set them on 2x3 or 2x4 to match the thickness of the fram so there is something to nail trim to, inside and out, when it is on concrete. To late for that. Any condensation between the frame and the walls will work it's way to the bottom you you do not want to seal the bottom. Iw ould just pin a trim to the concrete but use something to space it away from the concrete just a little.
To pin to the concrete drill a 3/16 hole add 2 peices of rebar tie wire and drive a 3' galvinized finish nail. In some areas vinyl trim is available.

I havn't had to install one like that but is just like a sliding patio door which is actually a window. We always set them on 2x3 or 2x4 to match the thickness of the fram so there is something to nail trim to, inside and out, when it is on concrete. To late for that. Any condensation between the frame and the walls will work it's way to the bottom you you do not want to seal the bottom. Iw ould just pin a trim to the concrete but use something to space it away from the concrete just a little.
To pin to the concrete drill a 3/16 hole add 2 peices of rebar tie wire and drive a 3' galvinized finish nail. In some areas vinyl trim is available.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, the trim is exposed. The foundation will be visible. You will have a step there.

BTW, the same applies to the area below the weep screed. It needs to be clear. Go look at stucco jobs in your neighborhood. You will see the same design

Yes, the trim is exposed. The foundation will be visible. You will have a step there.

BTW, the same applies to the area below the weep screed. It needs to be clear. Go look at stucco jobs in your neighborhood. You will see the same design

Villa, the patio or sidewalk is usaually just inches below the door and we would treat this like a window with a peel and stick showing, so covering it with trim is standard now, up here anyway.

Villa, the patio or sidewalk is usaually just inches below the door and we would treat this like a window with a peel and stick showing, so covering it with trim is standard now, up here anyway.

That nail on trimming isn't that bad looking. I posted to know what is the "norm" since my house was built in 1962 and stucco were put right down to the sidewalk (probably back then no weep drain enforced).

Last edited:
Most siding including stucco only comes down ! 1/2 " below the top of the foundation And water that is behind the stucco canussually work it's way down to the bottom. The weep hole are really important if you were going to cover the concrete with something that will stop that water. Most times if you can look up at the bottom of siding you will see the house sheeting comes down to the same level, and that is why you want some gap between the siding and the sidewalk. Rain water will splash up and wet that lumber, which is not a good idea.

Back