Phone lines

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmer

Reaction score
How hard is it run a phone line from the basement to the first floor for the computer

Not hard at all. Locate the area where you want the phone line to come up from the basement, drill a hole and run the phone wire up through the hole. Install the phone block and your done.

If you have wireless Internet, you can connect an Internet phone pretty easily. All you need is a phone adapter, a router, and a good service provider.

Best part - it should only run you about $10 a month (or less) for the whole phone system! Try using a provider like Vocalocity, I hope those reviews help out.

Last edited:
If you have wireless Internet, you can connect an Internet phone pretty easily. All you need is a phone adapter, a router, and a good service provider.

Best part - it should only run you about $10 a month (or less) for the whole phone system! Try using a provider like Vocalocity, I hope those reviews help out.
Since he wants a phone line to run a computer, a computer phone answer dosn't seem to apply here, it's a chicken and egg question.:banana:

Whoops! looks like I didn't read carefully enough... :eek:

If you have an unfinished basement, this is very easy. What you should do is drill down from the place upstairs where you want the wire to go. Then thread a wire down - any old wire so you may easily see where the hole is from your basement. Drill the hole just big enough for the wire - 3/16" or so. If this is suitable for your phone line, drill out the hole big enough for your phone wire. Fasten the wire on ceiling/floor joists in your basement with small wire clips like the ones shown at http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/invt/710350/Bell-Wire-Clips_large.jpg

If you have a finished basement, you may have to remove some ceiling tiles.

Back