Anderson-Style windows won't close

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Msupsic

Marc S.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have Anderson-style crank windows in my house, I would guess they were installed about 20 years ago, since I've been in the house for 11.

As you can see in the pictures, the scissor mechanism that opens/closes the windows has come loose and now the windows don't close completely. I have to pull them shut by hand to get them to lock at this point.

You can see that the mounting screws have reamed out their holes and the mounting bracket has been pulled away from the frame, which is the problem. The first image shows a secure mounting for contrast.

Any ideas for tightening these mounts up again? I imagine there's a lot of torque on this point, which is why they came loose over the years. I'd like to prevent this from just happening again.

Thanks,
Marc

-4.jpg

-3.jpg

-2.jpg

This is a common maintenance problem. Wood can only last for so long before it starts to breakdown. Here are some ideas:

1. Remove the screws. Cut thick slivers of hardwood such as oak or ash and insert them into the holes in your window. Try to fill the hole with the new slivers. Break off the slivers flush with the surface. Some people squirt glue into the hole first.

2. Check the screws. If you can get a slightly larger (not longer) screw, it might bite better ... Reattach the hardware.

It doesn't hurt to "assist" the window when closing it fully. That last inch strains the hardware, so help it along so you don't have to repair the window for another 11 years.

:D

Thanks, CMV! I figured that was the answer, guess I just thought it would only pull out again in time. Do you think it would be wise/helpful to add some construction adhesive behind the mount?

The problem with "assisting" the window in closing, is that we have screens in, which means you'd have to take the screen out every time you closed each window. We have about forty of these in the house, so that's probably not practical.

I would use something like JB Weld. Drill the hole out bigger fill with the JB let harden then pilot drill and put the screws back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Construction adhesive in the holes BEFORE adding the slivers might be a great idea. Sure, you can add it to the backside of the bracket too.

You should also check for swelling of the window frame to make sure it is not binding when you close it.

Good idea. I'm sure there's some binding along the bottom edge, simply due to the window sagging on the hinge after all this time?

Back