How do I change a ceiling-less damp room into gym?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rindy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here, but really need some help. I have an outside room next to my garage that hasn't got a ceiling, no plasterboard covering the bricks and quite cold and damp. I'd like to change this room into a gym / damp-proof storeroom.

I don't want to spend too much money, as we are saving up to build a granny flat on top of the garage (probably in about 2 years). I do need to fix this problem first, as I just moved back from another country and need a place to store all sorts of quality stuff that'll end up in the granny flat.

Questions: Is there a membrane I can staple to the beams to keep the dust out and that will be effective as a temporary ceiling? What do I need to paint the masonary with to keep the dust and damp out? Is there anything else I need to know? I really hope to hear from you soon...

Welcome Rindy:
I apologize for the slow answer. We do want to help.
You could use 6mil black polyetheylene plastic for a ceiling in the shop; black is sunlight resistant and won't turn brittle. The walls could be painted with a block filler/primer and finished with latex enamel.
The room also needs some kind of small heat source to keep it dried out in winter and some ventilation in the summer.
Glenn

Back